Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Dear all,

It is with a broken heart that we are posting this last update on the project. Indeed, we had a meeting today regarding the evolution of the campaign and the negative circle it is stuck in, and it is clear by now that in spite of our last efforts and the fact that it is base-funded anyway, we will miss the goal that we (and most probably most of the backers) hoped for ZNA.

We understand that we have made several mistakes in the preparation and presentation of this campaign, most of them has been made because of too much excitement (like the known stretch goal from the start), others because of a different way of seeing the crowd funding than what it seems to have become these last days (a pre-ordering platform instead of a project « kick starter » made to fund and support new ideas), probably others in the global communication, still we are only humans after all and nobody's perfect.

Our intention was to bring a new kind of hybrid game and to do this we needed a large funding because these kind of developments are way too expensive for a small company like us. Financing them before the campaign would have made no sense, proposing a cheap alternative including a cheap app from scratch would not have been interesting/innovative neither. It just seems that this part of the project was not realistic, and that we did not handled it the correct way. We still hope that these kind of games would see the light one day, as for us, we decided to gave up on such development and to focus on the board game itself as several of you have suggested, probably with reason.

This campaign, whatsoever, is the result of more than one year of work on ZNA and it is for sure that we won’t abandon the game development ship because of a KS failure, we just feel by now that it was not the right path to follow and we want to start fresh on another way. This does not mean that this campaign will be rebooted it is way too early to know this by now. What we know for sure, once again, is that we want to push the game further, focusing on its physical development, bringing into the paper and cardboard some of the great ideas we had for the digital part of the game, leveraging several mechanics of the core system to make them absolutely unique, and for this we also know, regarding several of the brilliant ideas that rised from the comment sections, that we do not want to do this alone but working with all of you who are interested into entering such a collaborative way of developing the game with us.

We also would like to deeply apologize to those of you who were still believing in the project. Be sure that your support and enthusiasm was the strength we needed to try harder and harder, you guys are definitely awesome ! Still we do think that good things can rise from a failure and we'll do our best to get there, you can count on us!

It is clear for us that we do not want the game and Florian's creative work to suffer from an imperfect KS campaign. This « end » is just the beginning of a new adventure for us and for ZNA and we would like to invite those of you who are excited by the project to join us on the Facebook page that we created to share and discuss with the community about the future evolution of ZNA, so come and join us (and share to whoever might be interested) on : https://www.facebook.com/znathegame

Once again, a HUGE, HUGE thank you to all of our community’s supporter, we’ll try to be better in the future, we learned a lot from this campaign and the mistakes we did, and, even if this is not as obvious as we would like it to be, we are permanently trying to improve ourselves and our projects.

Let’s meet again on the Facebook ZNA page to start again and to bring this game to the heights we know for sure it deserves!

With our deepest respect, enthusiasm and hopes for the future!

The Funforge Team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If raising 6 figures in funding was unsatisfactory then create a target you want to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Quote:
it is clear by now that in spite of our last efforts and the fact that it is base-funded anyway, we will miss the goal that we (and most probably most of the backers) hoped for ZNA.

Summed up: the project could not be done with the base funding. We asked for a fraction of what we needed and assumed it would hit a LOT higher than the severely understated funding goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good decision. Since day 1 the project was doomed. It's a pity, because I really really like the digital inside this game but 600k in funding to start with the app is madness.

Edit:
Actually there was no digital app to begin with. Just another Zombie board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
If raising 6 figures in funding was unsatisfactory then create a target you want to achieve.

The target was to make a good game that people enjoy. Not to make 6 figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
What a total joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
What a total joke.

Have a heart.

A small group of people were excited to develop a dream they had for a great boardgame. They took that dream to kickstarter, but unfortunately made several mistakes in communicating that vision to the masses, which led to backers dropping, and it's eventual cancellation.

There is no joke here, other than the fact that they are human like the rest of us and can make mistakes.

I'm sure they will learn a great deal from this and make an even better game as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason all the projects set low goals is that supposedly Kickstarter market your project differently depending on how successful it has been.

So "wow this game have reach 1500% of its funding goal!" = much more successful project.

Maybe it work for marketing too, relative "Oh it's only at 38% of its funding goal at 300 000, this will never come to reality anyway."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my assumption about the project all along: they wanted to make something to compete wit X-COM, they wanted the app to be integral to game play, they needed seven figures to do that so they based the game around mountains of miniatures. Once you have the money for the molds, the way people flock to games with minis, it's the hands down best bang for your buck in gaming. It seems as though they weren't fully transparent with their intent and caught some backlash.

It's unfortunate but the game didn't look "amazing" and nowhere near worth the asking price. Best of luck to them as they keep developing, the concept is sound, it just needs something to push it over the edge. I'd love to see more focus on the alchemy system and less a Zombicide reskin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"But at least it was instantly funded due to the awesomeness of early birds! Giving it a great momentum directly from the start!"

(Of course we have no idea where it would had been without them.)

(Maybe it tell something about people who think early birds are an important thing? (Considering they seem to purchase anything the others obviously didn't (Well, if they stayed and not just held a spot.)))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiff Jaffa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely part of the problem is the time of year this campaign was running?
I mean over Christmas/new year? Isn't everyone is broke from buying xmas presents etc?, I would have considered funding this but just can't afford to drop $100+ on something for myself that I won't even see for several months, maybe spring/summer time if it comes back I maybe onboard. Not too fussed about the digital app malarkey though as I don't have a decent tablet.

Oh and I think the bit about people treating KS as a preorder platform rather than a place to back peoples IDEAS that you find interesting is spot on. There seems to be lots of speculation going on (esp with EB's), funding in the hope of selling exclusives on later (also see Zombicide exclusives selling for $300+ each) rather than giving support to small teams projects to help them off the ground.

Good luck for the future, but as others have said if you can't produce something you are happy with for the 'base amount' funding goal, its not really the base amount is it.
I'll look out for this in the hopefully rising from the ashes.
Have a good new year all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jiffster wrote:

Oh and I think the bit about people treating KS as a preorder platform rather than a place to back peoples IDEAS that you find interesting is spot on. There seems to be lots of speculation going on (esp with EB's), funding in the hope of selling exclusives on later (also see Zombicide exclusives selling for $300+ each) rather than giving support to small teams projects to help them off the ground.

It's both, at least for the table top gaming category. I'm pre-ordering your product to help give you cash flow to make the 5000 units you need, or whatever, to get your company off the ground. I like your idea/product and so I'm willing to give you money up front for it, and because I realize that at the point I give you money, it is still an idea, I'm willing to wait a year, two years, for it but I'm still paying for a product. I am not giving you money so you can make an exhibition somewhere that I will never see, or a play, or anything else that would be funding only an idea. I am giving you money for a product. People treat it as a pre-order system because that's what it is. If it wasn't, the company would not tell me that I was buying a product from them and that I should be receiving said product in X amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Why all the negativity? Seriously, is that going to encourage anyone? This project has plenty of potential. Yes, they need a lot of money to develop the hybrid part of the game and KS may not be the place to do so, but why attack them about it? These guys are doing us a service by trying to make a game for our entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorado69 wrote:
Why all the negativity? Seriously, is that going to encourage anyone? This project has plenty of potential. Yes, they need a lot of money to develop the hybrid part of the game and KS may not be the place to do so, but why attack them about it? These guys are doing us a service by trying to make a game for our entertainment.

A) Money is all the encouragement they need.

B) We are doing them a service by supporting their game.

The market is flooded with amazing games that they have to compete with. If they can't take criticism they don't belong in the business. They aren't providing us a service at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least they had the decency to pull the plug when they realized they could not produce the game in the form they wanted to.

Wish the project creators of Up Front had the same ethics and morals as these guys do.

Best of luck in their future endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
skyzero wrote:

The target was to make a good game that people enjoy. Not to make 6 figures.
No, the target was to make six figures by selling a good game they thought people would enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
aliquis wrote:
"But at least it was instantly funded due to the awesomeness of early birds! Giving it a great momentum directly from the start!"

(Of course we have no idea where it would had been without them.)

(Maybe it tell something about people who think early birds are an important thing? (Considering they seem to purchase anything the others obviously didn't (Well, if they stayed and not just held a spot.)))

I don't say early birds are 'awesome', I say they work, and they do. They stick in your craw because you don't like them but if you had knowledge of Kickstarter, as it relates to Tabletop games, you would understand that they are incredibly effective. It's really a very simple process: encourage a casual browser to pledge now, not later, your project becomes very visible, creates a lot of buzz and draws more backers. Most importantly the stretch goals start to be hit quickly and that is what really excites people. For many the thrill of the chase is as exciting as the game itself. Then your backers do all of the promotion for you, the excitement catches on and you have a big success. You can choose to disbelieve it but this IS how it happens. I have followed Kickstarter board games DAILY for the last two years, and by that I don't just mean games I backed. I see all of the projects come and go and projects with early birds get funded quicker. They simply do. You can believe it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad to hear of this cancellation, because I know how much work was put into this. However, I think you would be making the right decision by re-introducing it just as a board game. In my personal opinion, the app interaction with ZNA looks REALLY cool. But, I think most gamers either want to play a board game or a video game, but not the two together, at least from the consensus I have seen.

I was part of the developing team of a board game a couple years ago called "Hurricane", which was also going to integrate an app. It would have been perfect with the game, and we felt it added to the game in a really cool way. However, this was definitely not the case. We didn't reach our KS goal, not even close. Of course, we did many other things wrong with the project so it wasn't just the app part. My point is though, I received lots of feedback here on BGG shortly after the campaign failed, and one of the main suggestions was to lose the app. Some were confused and weren't sure if it was a board game or an app, they couldn't understand that it was both. Others just didn't like the idea, because when they play board games they want to escape technology altogether.

I really believe you have an awesome game, I love the theme and the story and the mechanics look pretty solid too. So I'll look forward to seeing your relaunch, you'll reach your goal with flying colors next time around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edi Minca
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I too backed this project because I liked the game and I must say,I felt that the creators did not take very well the constructive comments and the normal feedback from the backers. The communication was very bad in the first days and the creators seemed to me sturr and too proud. As they realised, their attitude was not very constructive, they started to communicate more, but that did not change my first impression of a lack of friendliness and open-mindness towards the backers. That was the reason why I stepped out days before the cancelling of the project and why I am not very fond of financing french projects in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.