Warrior Knights» Forums » General

Subject: Question about Faith rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
I am just about to play for the first time, so my question comes just from reading the rules.

Every time a red event card comes up the Head of the Curch needs Faith to prevent, that he himself is the victim. Every time a blue event card comes up the HOC needs Faith to be allowed to draw it himself or he has to gift it to some other player. Further you need eventually Faith to prevent Cities from revolting.

Since you can possibly only get 2 Faith per round it seems to me that the position of HOC is something to be avoided at all costs. With no Faith every red card is yours with no chance to avoid (at least another player could try to bribe the HOC).

If you are unlucky you could start with HOC, the first possibly action could be to draw a red event card without any chance for you to accumulate Faith beforehand.

So how does it work in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslaw Terlecki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points!

in actual game it depends:

- how many events are drawn per turn? (0-2)
- how many are red? green events can gain you gold from player for playing on him, purple events are neutral and eventually can be canceled by any player
- from my experience empty cities are not that common, maybe except for the endgame but then you should have enough gold to pay for occasional rebellion
- if you bless expeditions (try to get money for it)
- you can select where to put used serve church cards and you must try to get them back as soon as possible

and yes, starting with HoC can be a problem. even if you put 2 serve church cards in first stack that red event WILL COME FIRST anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Thanx for the clues..

Hm, would it be too much, if everyone would at least get 1 or 2 Faith in the beginning? But Perhaps i should at least play the game once before i tinker with the rules....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the five games I have played so far, there has been no problems with shortage of faith. I think it would be a bad idea to give the players faith tokens to begin with. You have only six actions to make every round, while there are probably ten actions you would like to perform. Choosing the right cards every round is a real challenge. If you have faith tokens from the beginning, you would probably concentrate on other areas of the game and then the decisions you have to take would not be as hard/fun!
Also note that not all red cards are necessarily bad - it depends on the situation. Likewise the green cards are not always beneficial. In my last game one of my nobles suffered from a broken line. Fortunately he had just moved to Alexandria to lay siege to the city - he would not be in any lethal battles for 3-4 rounds! Later on another player spend 5 crowns to get the head of the church to play a green card on him - he got the chance to move a noble without exhausting him, but he had already put his nobles where he wanted them!
This is one of the first FFG-games that does not need house-rules to be enjoyed fully by my group of players (but it did need a homemade reference sheet!).
So as you have noted yourself: Try a couple of games first before you tinker with the rules.
It´s a very good game, have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
I will do as you suggested,... but i like to tinker with rules... it is all FFGs fault. I own several FFG games and all are great... but only after i tinkered a bit with the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
I had my first try yesterday, and sadly it seems, that this games doesn't work for us. It is just too static. Since you have to exhaust a noble who has just moved it was never possible to make an suprising move. Most of the time it was very clear how the game would evolve. Once you have set your stronghold and you have established a powerbase you are just there trying to get around with awfully slow moving armies and even the ports don't help very much.
Then it was not the best solution to represent all troops with small cards, lying just before the player. Every time you planned an attack you had to look into the cards of the player in question to get the info about how many troops would be involved.
After 60 VP and 5 or 6 rounds (5h or so) the game looked nearly just the same as in the beginning.
Some battles, some sieges, some death nobles, but we got never the feeling that any of the battles were crucial or epic.

Yes, there are some nice mechanics in the game, like the drawing of events, but the main part, the strategic game on the board, is just too boring for us.

This is the first FFG title i am really disappointed with, i don't think tinkering with the rules will help here, sad, sad,...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Kelley
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
One thing that may assist you in your game play is to shift your focus. Warrior Knights is less about mass combat strategy on the game board like most games are (which are often just a more complex variation of Risk) as it is political interaction and planning. The real enjoyment is found in the social elements the game beckons for, Assemblies, and out-guessing the Actions of your opponents to trigger phases that are beneficial for you but devastating for them, while all along luring them into thinking you have a mutual goal or interest.

In essence, Warrior Knights has every bit of strategy as those games I'm sure you're accustomed to, just on a less tangible, and dare I say more sophisticated, intellectual, level. This is not to belittle you at all. I enjoy those other games as well, with their more material presence of strategy in game pieces and military movements physically represented and played out on the game board. With Warrior Knights strategy is much more subtle and complex, but once grasped the near-brilliance of the game’s design reveals itself.

If there is truly one area for improvement, in my opinion it's with the rules for besieging, and I suppose to a lesser extent with the somewhat lackluster or less than spectacular, seemingly premature, ending that tends to occur. I did in fact immediately recognize some opportunities not necessarily for improvement but for enhancement, and invariably committed the sin of tinkering with the rules, an inevitability every game purchased by my hands must endure.

Your question about Faith, or more accurately, Events, along with alternate rules for besieging and ending the game are addressed along with a gaggle of other variations in the Brothers Kelley compilation of alternate rules, referenced by any one of the following links:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128125
http://kelleyvideoproductions.com/wk_faq_optional.pdf

In any event, focus less on moving, flanking and attacking on the corporeal board and more on doing so on the mental game board of the collective players’ minds and imaginations, perfecting your game face so that you can smile convincingly while stabbing your fellow gamers in the back. Now THAT’s fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.