Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle part of the turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
Played my first game in half a year yesterday and had a disagreement come up:

I attacked my friend on a tile with a fortress and a rune-token. Halfway through the battle I realized I could grant myself additional strength by using Political Control to get the title that gets you +2 strength on tiles with a rune-token.

Now my friend argued that I was not allowed to do so, as the card specifies use "during your turn" and not "during battle" as other cards do. I would say that, since I initiated combat, it was my turn still, even though we also were in battle.

In the end, I let him through with his interpretation as I was confident to win the battle anyways, but I would like to have this clarified now. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't argue with it - I am pretty sure the battle is happening on your turn.

My opinion has no weight to it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several rulings from Corey at FFG in the past to specify that during a battle, you can only play cards that specifically allow you to do so during battle. Even though you may be the attacker and it's "your turn", the rulings have been that you cannot play "during your turn" cards during a battle. It's been a long-standing ruling.

Part of the reason was to prevent a player from using things like Spread Dissent and Band of Brigands in the middle of a battle. But the ruling itself was pretty universal. As mentioned, unless a card specifically allows it to be played during battle, it can't.

Thus, you cannot play Political Control in the middle of a battle. You can play it immediately before the battle if you want to get the benefit of the Title you want to claim, but once the battle starts, it's too late until the battle is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Böhnemann
Germany
flag msg tools
Good to know, thank you. I suppose it makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.