Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As we all know Talisman has a plethora of characters. And what gets worse is that in a couple of the expansions (specifically dragons although timescape to a lesser degree) the shading on the backs is different. I know the sherif, high theif, kings champion, and high mage are yellow, but somehow specifically the dragon characters have a lighter orange shade, so are distinguishable. By the same token, somehow (don't know if it's shade, or slightly offset lettering, or just intuition) timescape characters are noticeable in a random draw. Anyway, doesn't matter. the question is how do you all select characters. I have done straight random draw. I have done best out of random 3 (or 5, or 7, or whatever) I have done choose your own. I have done choose for the player next to you. My favorite, and the one my group (of years gone by, haven't have a decent talisman group in ages) settled on is Each person picks from 3-5 (depending on how generous we feel) characters and out of that pot (depending on how many people play say 2 people 3 cards, that's 6 characters whereas 9 people, 5 cards that's 45) we each draw randomly. This dynamic over the years I gamed with these people worked well. Almost nobody ever played the prophetess. Although many of us played the woodsman. Generally we learned to play with weaker characters, enjoy mediocre characters, and revel in stronger characters. It could be because we played chaos bloodbath rules, and that we all enjoyed the "screw the other guy" game. But in general we all kind of stayed away from the extremely good characters, because we didn't know how we would end up. Sure you can pick 1 of your 3-5 characters to be awesome, or even all 5. But odds were somebody else would get it. so instead you picked maybe 1 great one. 2 or so bad ones, and filled the middle. And in the end we all wound up with (in general) middle characters. except when eveyrone was ina bad mood. Then everyone got bad characters. Still it helped balance the game a little bit. Sure we may not have explored all the character possiblities, but I know I for one will never be upset about drawing the scout. He may seem lousy, but when it's the scout against the woodsman against the elf against the chainsaw warrior. having the only access to say the life pool is a HUGE advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually have everyone draw two characters with their hands over their eyes, and select the one they want to play. In this manner, they can't "aim" for the higher characters, they aren't stuck with something they truly hate, and lots of different characters get tried out.

We let the second sit in waiting under the one they are using, in case the character bites it, they have something to do for the next hour or two while everyone else is making their way through the game. It has happened that a late "reincarnation" exacts revenge for an earlier wrong, or ends up reaching higher than the fallen comrade from before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.