Subject: Dead Investigators are moved to the nearest City Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
When an Investigator dies, his "body" is being moved to the nearest City Space.

That's the rules. Now, I'm kinda curious, why this rule has been introduced in the first place? I'm sure there must be some kind of reasoning behind it?
Would it massively change the game, if you'd just leave his "body" on the space he actually died?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:

That's the rules. Now, I'm kinda curious, why this rule has been introduced in the first place? I'm sure there must be some kind of reasoning behind it?
Would it massively change the game, if you'd just leave his "body" on the space he actually died?

Thanks!

It is difficult to get to expedition spaces.

EDIT: BTW, it makes thematic sense. The person is in a city receiving care for their physical/mental anguish. The blurbs on the back of the investigator sheets wouldn't make much sense if the person were at sea, in the rainforest, or stranded in the ancient city of the Elder Things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Ah okay, thanks!
I didn't think of the "Dead Investigator Encounters".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arutha ConDoin
Belgium
Dilsen - Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:
Ah okay, thanks!
I didn't think of the "Dead Investigator Encounters".

They're called "defeated investigator encounters" because the investigators are not dead (yet). They're too injured or mentally insane to continue the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I look at it as if they have been found by a passerby/expedition/ship, etc. and are brought to a "big city" hospital/asylum. A little pretend goes a long way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Thematically, I look at it as if they have been found by a passerby/expedition/ship, etc. and are brought to a "big city" hospital/asylum. A little pretend goes a long way.

I just imagine that since they are not DEAD... they are running to a populated area so that they can either received treatment or simply running from whatever it was that "defeated" them in the first place.

As rough as a 1920's city could be, it's probably a lot safer (and less dark) than camping in the wild or (God forbid) floating out at sea with cultists, witches, vampires, zombies, Deep Ones, and Elder Things on the loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
diceman2k4 wrote:

Thanks!

It is difficult to get to expedition spaces.

EDIT: BTW, it makes thematic sense. The person is in a city receiving care for their physical/mental anguish. The blurbs on the back of the investigator sheets wouldn't make much sense if the person were at sea, in the rainforest, or stranded in the ancient city of the Elder Things

Trish, passing her skill check, calms Lola down and learns the blood on her hands is from a goat. Taking the derringer, Trish looks confused. "I understand about the goat, but... how did you build a theater in the middle of the ocean?"

"I improvised."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think it matters that much. It's all just a matter of how you explain things are happening:
You could leave them just where they were defeated. Encountering them now effectively means, that you are looking for clues for their whereabouts at the last location where someone has seen them alive and well. Then everything happens in between: you visit them in the nearest city, afterwards you're back on your Journey.

Or you play it like this: after you've encountered them, you move YOUR OWN Investigator to the nearest city (if you like). If you don't, it just means, that afterwards you're back on your journey. Thus you could even use Investigator-Encounters for increased mobility. I'd be okay with that.
This would work very well with my suggested Enhanced Investigator-Encounter-Variant, thus turning it into a viable (hard enough) choice, instead of just a risky one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17862021#17862021

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.