Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Buying advice for a new player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
Greetings fellow geeks.

After first dismissing this game I've come around and ordered it today. The selling points were the story, that it might be a good starter game for my 10 year old sister, and that it's from Plaid Hat.

Normally I would wait with the expansions til we'd tried the game, but this game is a little hard to get here. Only one online store had the base game in stock, and none have Downwood Tales. We'll be playing the expansions in order, but should I still order DT from PHG so as to not risk having to wait?

I have to order some extra minis anyway so we can paint them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can afford it and think you might enjoy it...buy it. Especially if there is the chance of 1) it might be tough to get in the future for you 2) it's something rewarding for you and your sisters relationship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
I'm already her favorite so I'm good I'm just a little concerned about the Wheaton effect when that episode airs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd wait. I love the game but there are defiantly those out there who take issue with it. DT just came out and we just went through the holiday season so it doesn't surprise me you can't get it.

M&M is one of PH's gems (dare I say evergreens) so I'm sure they will reprint it.

Play the base game, see if you like it. If you do go all in, and if DT is still unavailable, Heart of Glorm and the two downloadable chapters should tide you over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, buy it only when you're really afraid you won't get in in few months. These expansions are really standalone - they need base game, still, but they play on their own. Technically, you can mix some stuff with the base game, but sometimes it doesn't feel right. Play the base game first, it's a ton of fun (couple of months at least), then try to hunt the expansion(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juzzo Hawkins
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you play it like we did and repeat a chapter if you failed it the you can get more than 11 plays before you finishe the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out for the TableTop effect. M&M gets 2 chapters this season, so you might find the base game and expansions hard to come by for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Tabletop with M&M will air end of July, though, so still plenty of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
Ordered the base game. Should be here on saturday. The sum of all Mice and Mystics for sale in my country are 9 base games and 5 Glorm. No Downwood. Think I'll try it over the weekend and decide next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
In a country with limited options I try and stay ahead of what I need, rather than pine for months. We only have one chain of retailers with a so-so selection and a history of getting new games months after the leading online store. 3 online stores, where 1 is always sold out, 1 has a limited selection, and the best seems to be run by a gaming fan as a side business, have a huge selection, gets the new games first, ships in 2 days and if they don't sell a game will try and order it just for you. Their new games often sell out fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Kupper
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your kids are like mine, they're going to want the extra characters asap.

We have a long running battle over Lily, that I'm hoping to staunch by adding the Gecko. My son loves Lily because she's a ranged BA, and he got her the Catkiller (not the real name) achievement. My daughter loves her cause she's the prettiest mouse, and a BA girl.

I'm hoping the Gecko takes over the ranged bit for my son, so my daughter can claim her for good.

Course, my son is *also* now enamored of Filch - he's been running a Nez + Lily combo most chapters, but I showed him the glory of a well built and equipped Filch supported by Collin, and he was kind of amazed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea Hagen
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all. Our first game will be tomorrow, with 3 of 4 sisters at home. Ordered a duplicate set of minis so we can paint together. If the game goes well I'll be ordering the rest right away.

My sister just got into board gaming and has made my mum promise that they play at least once a week. She's the last one living at home and is going through some harsh medical treatments (nothing leathal), so we all want to endulge her a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.