United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR UPDATES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS---

Holdfast Korea 1950-1951 is the follow up to our highly popular Holdfast Russia 1940-1941 (currently rated over an 8 on boardgamegeek.com).

The game uses simple mechanics with a highly interactive turn sequence that keeps gamers engaged for a fast, fun, and furious 2 to 2.5 hours of play. The game units are blocks with labels and a low unit density on board means the game does not bog down. The core rules are 4 pages expanded to 8 with detailed graphics and explanations meaning you can be up and playing with 15 minutes of rules reading and a short set up.

Korea is called America’s “forgotten war”. There are very few games on the topic, and none quite like this. The US Army, US Marine Corp, ROK Army, NKPA, and CPA forces are all represented. Air power, armor, and the Naval might of the UN forces are represented simply and elegantly. Rail movement, amphibious landings, and surprise attacks are in here too.

Can you as the NKPA take Seoul and Pusan before the might of the US led UN forces get too strong?Will you as the UN player be able to blitz into N. Korea securing the Yalu River before Chinese forces come pouring across like a blizzard from the north?And as a last resort can you secure more enemy territory to control across the 38th Parallel as the peace makers negotiate the end of the war?The decisions are yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOOOOOOO.... just as I am about to get my own Korea block game published someone else makes one as well... talk about bad timing (especially for me as mine wont be ready for kickstarter before later this year...)

I am going to back this one as well though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I'll back yours as well sir! Always room for more thoughts on the topic. Sounds like we'll be spread out enough to keep interest. Under done topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah - this is excellent news! I have a Korean War game design in my back pocket as well. It is a period of history that has been overlooked for the most part, especially at the operational/tactical level. Certainly the market could use more "playable" strategic level games of the war, so I will be supporting both projects as well.

Brian - which publisher do you have slated for your design?

Happy New Year!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
NOOOOOOO.... just as I am about to get my own Korea block game published someone else makes one as well... talk about bad timing (especially for me as mine wont be ready for kickstarter before later this year...):(

I am going to back this one as well though :)

Yours is highly anticipated by many people, Brian - don't sweat it!

I'm sure the Worthington one will be great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Brian - which publisher do you have slated for your design?

Academy Games.
Its in the "Fog of War" series (Strike of the Eagle)

Its inspired by the old "Korean War" game by Victory Games, so a lot of the philosophy behind that game will be recognizable to veterans even though the game system itself is radically different.

What it the scale/focus of your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Brian, I'll back yours as well sir! Always room for more thoughts on the topic. Sounds like we'll be spread out enough to keep interest. Under done topic.

Thanks Grant!

I agree its a very underdone topic which is rather strange as it has all the classic ingredients of a popular game: American units, assymetric sides, dramatic swings of fortune so both players get to experience offensive and defensive operations, lots of interesting political decisions and what-ifs (my game include the possibility of several what-ifs), and relevance to the present day.

Quote:
Yours is highly anticipated by many people, Brian - don't sweat it!

Thanks a lot Jay! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cartking24 wrote:

Korea is called America’s “forgotten war”. There are very few games on the topic, and none quite like this. The US Army, US Marine Corp, ROK Army, NKPA, and CPA forces are all represented. Air power, armor, and the Naval might of the UN forces are represented simply and elegantly. Rail movement, amphibious landings, and surprise attacks are in here too.

1 Please remember that 21 countries sent troops to Korea; it is not America’s “forgotten war” it is the “forgotten war”, which of course is technically still in progress.

cartking24 wrote:

Can you as the NKPA take Seoul and Pusan before the might of the US led UN forces get too strong?Will you as the UN player be able to blitz into N. Korea securing the Yalu River before Chinese forces come pouring across like a blizzard from the north?And as a last resort can you secure more enemy territory to control across the 38th Parallel as the peace makers negotiate the end of the war?The decisions are yours!

1 I have been impressed by the reviews on HOLDFAST [that I have not played] and the suggestion that it succeeds where NO RETREAT [that I have played] falls short.
2 I have never purchased a game on KOREA, this could be a very appropriate one.

2 Initially it looks like an interesting challenge as sides alternate with opportunities to attack successfully but how are you going to ensure it is not a tug-of-war game with three hundred die rolls determining the outcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed it was not just US war as it was a UN backed fight. But predominantly it was US forces and command that called the shots. The Brits, Turks, ROK forces particularly, and others all contributed.

It was a war of maneuver greatly despite it being an infantry fight. Amphibious assaults, And pushing through enemy lines as well as 299 die rolls all played a part in the first year.

More info coming soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, we (USA) made up almost 80% of the UN forces. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to look at raw numbers then the ROK contributed more than the US to the fight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cartking24 wrote:
Agreed it was not just US war as it was a UN backed fight. But predominantly it was US forces and command that called the shots. The Brits, Turks, ROK forces particularly, and others all contributed.

It was a war of maneuver greatly despite it being an infantry fight. Amphibious assaults, And pushing through enemy lines as well as 299 die rolls all played a part in the first year.

More info coming soon!

Are you only doing the first year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what about the Turkish brigade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian - good luck with your design, I like the FOW series.

Grant - Is Korea going to jump ahead of the Bulge game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know when this will be on kickstarter and the estimated delivery date, it seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope we are in final art, I have set up a kickstarter page waiting to do our video for launch, and we have a bgg page.

Grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartking24 wrote:
Nope we are in final art, I have set up a kickstarter page waiting to do our video for launch, and we have a bgg page.

Grant

Good to see the project is still a go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
cartking24 wrote:

Grant

Good news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.