Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted all necessary materials to allow you to play the above tournament in the files section for this game. There are eleven files in all, including boards to play groups A-G, the second round, the final stages, club flags, rules, and record sheets. Teams have been graded in the same proportions as the 2002 World Cup (e.g. there are 7 blue teams), and according to their actual performance in the competition (e.g. Liverpool and AC Milan are black, Real Madrid is green, and so on).

RULES

Because matches are played both home and away until the final, each stage needs to be played through twice, with the same number of cards as the equivalent stage of the 2002 World Cup scenario, and with scores recorded after each stage. The home team is the first named team on the board of each match on the first play-through, and the second named team on the second play-through. In the second and subsequent rounds except the final, the away goals rule applies to determine who goes through: if the aggregate score is tied, the team that scored the greater number of goals away goes through. If the teams still cannot be divided then there is a penalty shootout. To simulate home advantage, the away team must subtract half a goal from any half goals scored on the dice. There is no home advantage in the final.

In the group stage the top two teams in each group go through to the second round, and the away goals rule does not apply. Instead, apply tiebreakers as follows:

* Points earned in head-to-head matches between the tied teams.
* Total goals scored in head-to-head matches between the tied teams.
* Away goals scored in head-to-head matches between the tied teams.
* Cumulative goal difference in all group matches.
* Total goals scored in all group matches.
* Team grading, e.g. green beats yellow (this is to simulate higher UEFA coefficient).

Note that in the quarter-finals and semi-finals a random draw determines who plays who - draw flag counters from a cup. For the second round, place all the group winners in one cup, and all the runner-up teams in another. Draw alternately from the cups until each group winner has been placed with a runner-up. Note that the winner and runner-up from the same group may not be drawn against each other, and teams from the same nation may not be drawn against each other. If either of these two situations occurs draw another team and then replace the ineligible team in the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the second and subsequent rounds except the final, a random draw determines who plays who - draw flag counters from a cup.

Wasn't there some sort of "keep same country teams away from each other" rule for this first round ??

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the winner gets to be trounced by São Paulo in Tokyo, then?

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Having read the UEFA regulations (or at least the pertinant bit), I've updated the rules for the second round draw.

By the way, the Sao Paulo thing was a complete travesty - we were robbed! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
yangtze2000 wrote:
By the way, the Sao Paulo thing was a complete travesty - we were robbed! cry

Oh! Give me a break and quit crying for brother sakes!!! It is always a nice slap to remember that no matter how many of the great South American players go play in Europe, we still break even when the International Cup/World Championship is played! I understand it is hard to accept.devil

I suggest you include the Tokyo tournament in this version as well. This way we may see Sao Paulo lose for a change. In 3 trips to Japan, it brought the title every time.

All the teasing aside, great idea! I hope I will have a chance to play it. Thank you. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the files are now uploaded. The rest should be up soon including record sheets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamentably my "Cup of Champions" add-on pitting the sixteen greatest international teams of all time against eachother is on a slight hiatus for a couple of weeks as I want to get the game I've been designing together in time to reveal at Midcon in November...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intending to be at Midcon too, so if anyone's planning on a World Cup game let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything's up as a zipped file now Any feedback on this scenario would be gratefully received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don,

Well done with your Champion's League game. It will, of course, take some time to play this as you have to play through the groups stages twice.

I will be at MidCon too with a rough prototype of the 2006 World Cup. So yes, there will certainly be some World Cups to be won at MidCon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, yeah it's the 5/6 hour variant! I suppose it could be played in two sessions, packing up after the first round of group stage matches...

Looking forward to emulating England's dismal showing in Birmingham

By the way, I got into this game via Nick Kinzett's enthusiasm at Manorcon. You should invite him to all your convention demos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't suppose any of you fellows will be making it to BGG.con in Dallas, would you? I really enjoy this game (although I only really started watching soccer with the latest World Cup), and there may not be any others over here who have as much of an interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to, just too short of time and broke at the moment However, you could make it to Midcon! 10-12th November, Birmingham, UK.

www.diplomacy-archive.com/midcon/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sderrick wrote:
Don,

Well done with your Champion's League game. It will, of course, take some time to play this as you have to play through the groups stages twice.

I will be at MidCon too with a rough prototype of the 2006 World Cup. So yes, there will certainly be some World Cups to be won at MidCon!!

Right, well I know what I'll be spending some of my day doing! Make sure I get a game of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
And, BTW, "Internacional" World Club Champion 2006!!!
Just beat Barcelona with all their stars, midseason (so no excuses about not being on top form, etc). 1-0. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we going to see a 2006/07 Champions League version?

Not quite the result you wanted Don, but it was oh so close!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lol

No we're blinking well not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.