Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Don't know if cross posting between here and the BGDF is frowned upon or not - hope I'm not stepping out of line by doing this.

Anyway I've made a first rules draft for a game inspired by Junta - they're over on the BGDF:
http://www.bgdf.com/tiki/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments...

Any 'geeks who want to read and make suggestions for improvement (on this thread or that) would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good luck.

I remember trying to design a political game about 30 years located in some third world country. Recently i have come back to this project. The difference being that 30 years ago the idea of a card driven game did not come to me.

Like you, I enjoy the core of the game of Junta. I find that the coups just ruin the game (the coups are much too long and could have been whittled down.) Also i find the hiding in a hidden location is too clunky. But I liked the cards giving powers and I loved El presidente giving out money to bribe his followers.

You are proposing to have multiuse cards which is really good. Cards allow you to add a lot of theme to the game.

I would suggest that you should try to integrate the concept of some players being "in" and others being "out" in the political phase. This is a fun concept as long as the alliances shift often. I am thinking of the alliance system in struggle of Empires. An aliance system works well in this game and keeps the players from ganging up on the leader. This is otherwise going to be a problem in this game.

A multiplayer game becomes very unbalanced and pointless if most actions (votes and military actions) hurt another player. The players will gang up on the leader constantly. This can be cured by having most player actions favour the player instead of hurting another player. Yes players like being able to do some "take that" types of moves. That was one of the great concepts in Junta. A majority of the players benefited by cooperating with the president . But some players were automatically out of the alliance. Yet no eventually people had to choose a new president or lose to the original.

I feel that some type of pecking order within the country would be interesting. Only after enough votes or military power is accumulated will a new pecking order be established. YOu could even rank the players from top to bottom. Higher ups get more VPs. But eventually the whole structure gets toppled.

bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. You're right of course that as it stands this is going to turn into a bash-the-leader game very quickly indeed.

Solving it is a bit more of a problem. Howevermuch that alliance mechanic in SoE solves the problem in a clever way I can't help feeling it's gamey and clunky - so much so that it put me off playing SoE! But you've raised some other ways in which I can approach the issues, which I very much appreciate.

I'm not sure about locking players out of the political phase - that makes downtime - but the pecking order concept is definately worth thinking about.

I'm also now toying with the idea about making the political phase a chance to vote to acquire more cards rather than to take cards away from other players. A card would be turned over off the top of the deck, and maybe there'd be a random player picked and the motion would become "should player X recieve card Y?" ... but again you'd need some sort of pecking order or alliance mechanic to stop it just turning into a vote-yourself-a-card round each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.