Subject: Take out Civilization cards with less people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Neu
United States
Richfield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We played a 3 person game and it seemed like too many civ. cards since you are adding another 9 with this expansion. Should you take some cards out just like you have only 3 stacks of hut cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why, exactly, do feel this is a problem? What happened in the game that made it feel like "too many" cards? You are implying that something needs to be fixed but not actually stating why you think this is the case.

All players, regardless of player count, have the same opportunity to acquire the cards, so the card count doesn't favor any single player more than the other. Prior to the expansion, we often found that the game would end on huts within one turn of it ending on cards. Adding cards might lengthen the game by a couple turns, but again, I don't see how this favors any one player over the other. The only real change is that the game is more likely to end by exhausting a hut stack than by exhausting the card deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Neu
United States
Richfield
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The game seemed to take a lot longer. Yeah the 20 previous games or so I'd say it was 50/50 on which situation ended the game. I think we were all going for cards more and not drilling down the hut cards. The 81 points for 9 different green is enticing. I just thought that if you take out hut cards depending on the number of people that some civ cards should be taken out as well so it remains 50/50 on how the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that its the cards alone that lengthen the game. You have another spot (jewelry) that players are trying to increase, so you going to spend a few more actions there as well.

I think the only issue with removing cards is that you don't know who you are hurting. For example, suppose somebody has a lot of tools, but the tool cards are taken out of the game. Players who built huts or farms have more endgame scoring opportunities. If you are going to remove cards from the deck, there needs to be a way to do it fairly. I suppose you could increase the hut stacks to eight if you want keep that particular balance, but that could increase game length as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are more cards. But also more ways to get cards via the decoration bonus card-spot and via the dice roll bonus cards. We haven't noticed being left with an excess of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls