Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Emperor of China» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stacking, Movement, Negotiation, Withdrawal, Merging -- and more... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what an interesting game! We really enjoyed our first play and I will be trying to get this played more. Some of the fuzzy rules are annoying though; anyone have any insight or experience with these?

1.) Does movement among your friendly-controlled territories require a terrain card?

2.) If you control a token only by inference do you still get its benefit?

3.) When are stacking limits enforced? We played you can overstack during placement but have to move out right away.

4.) Can a defender force an attacker to spend his terrain card, then just withdraw? Or must he endure at least one round of combat if he does not accept a withdrawal offer? The rulebook suggests bluffing a terrain card so you can move without spending one, but then seems to say defenders can withdraw from battle at any time... so bluffing would be pointless because you can always force someone to spend his or her card, then just retreat from combat.

5.) When a player merges into a stronger empire, are his tokens physically removed from the board and replaced with an equal number of the stronger empire's pieces? We found merges strangely disadvantageous in the endgame, since the stronger empire typically only had a few pieces he could possibly replace the conquered peoples with. So he'd knock out a 12-piece empire and get 1-2 territories plus 1-2 markers he could place.

6.) There is some gamey-ness in the endgame where you can tell a player you will offer a merge, then have them retreat a couple territories, then absorb them so you can maximize the number of territories you will gain. This is a bit hard to describe I suppose, but if you only have 1-2 pieces off the board you can replace the defunct empire with, it will behoove both players for the weaker empire to sacrifice a few territories and THEN merge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p4warrior wrote:
1.) Does movement among your friendly-controlled territories require a terrain card?

Second sentence in section 11: Geographical Barriers: "Yang cards are necessary to cross all barriers DEFENDED by a competing state."
(The caps aren't something I've added; that's how it appears in the rules.)

p4warrior wrote:
2.) If you control a token only by inference do you still get its benefit?

Last sentence in section 7: Economic Symbols: "A province which has become depopulated through Yin misfortune or withdrawal requires re-population from adjoining territory."

Also note the line in 6: Movement of Population Markers: "It is necessary to leave a marker behind only if a province possesses economic wealth, or if an escape route is desired."

p4warrior wrote:
3.) When are stacking limits enforced? We played you can overstack during placement but have to move out right away.

Excerpt from 6: Movement of Population Markers: "No more than TEN population markers may be in any one province at any given time: excess markers (except during the securing placing phase) must be removed from the board." (I've added bold font to emphasize the key phrase.)

p4warrior wrote:
4.) Can a defender force an attacker to spend his terrain card, then just withdraw? Or must he endure at least one round of combat if he does not accept a withdrawal offer?

I've seen people house rule that if he plays a card, he gets his first roll, but that's not really in the rules. Remember that you cannot withdraw into a territory where you don't already have at least one unit, and that stacking limits apply.

p4warrior wrote:
The rulebook suggests bluffing a terrain card so you can move without spending one, but then seems to say defenders can withdraw from battle at any time... so bluffing would be pointless because you can always force someone to spend his or her card, then just retreat from combat.

That section is prefaced by the word ADVICE in caps, to make clear it is advice, not rules. What it suggests is that you use diplomacy to get an opponent to withdraw by convincing them you have what you need to eliminate them if they don't, the implication being that he would withdraw on his own turn before you attack him on yours.

p4warrior wrote:
5.) When a player merges into a stronger empire, are his tokens physically removed from the board and replaced with an equal number of the stronger empire's pieces?

It works better if you don't; giving the stronger player control of both colors.

p4warrior wrote:
6.) There is some gamey-ness in the endgame where you can tell a player you will offer a merge, then have them retreat a couple territories, then absorb them so you can maximize the number of territories you will gain. This is a bit hard to describe I suppose, but if you only have 1-2 pieces off the board you can replace the defunct empire with, it will behoove both players for the weaker empire to sacrifice a few territories and THEN merge.

See above; if the stronger player controls both colors there is no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems to iron out the kinks we experienced. I thought it was a good design, and it surprised me that it came out in the 70s when I'm sure most everyone was just crushing out Risk games that ate up their whole Saturday. This seems to capture the feel of a dudes-on-a-map game in a much more elegant package and the diplomacy makes things interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah them 70's with the release of all those sorry little games like Cosmic Encounter, Squad Leader, Dune, flattop and Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.