Grimoire» Forums » Variants

Subject: Optimising the deck for less players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I quite like this game, but it really plays well with 4+ players only. If you play less, there are two issues:
1) Less fun book-phase
2) Too many cards for two or three players, so it's harder to have that one card in display you really want to create a nice combo.

There is nothing we can do about issue 1) but I thought one might try optimising the deck for less than 5 players to make it more tight so I checked quantities and will try the following considering (please mind that I got the German version and don't know the names of cards in English, so am translating freely):

The deck is made of:
12x Castles
14x Cities
16x Villages
5x Cottages

3x each Character except:
1x Witch

I would tweak only these cards and leave the treasure deck as it is.

For a 2:
6x Castles
7x Cities
8x Villages
3x Cottages
2x each Character
1x Witch

For a 3 or 4-player game I would use:
9x Castles
10x Cities
12x Villages
4x Cottages
2x each Character
1x Witch

and obviously for a 5-player game you use all cards.

If you try this I would still shuffle the leftover cards into a separate pile face down. In the unlikely event that you should run out of cards in both the draw deck as well as the discard pile, start dealing out from the leftover deck.

I will be trying out 2-player game with this set-up to try it out.

Let me know if you do too and whether you would fine tune it.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idk, I think there's a good mix of cards, it's not like there's only 1 king and 1 queen and 1 rogue--there's a hefty mix--so as long as the randomization is good then it really shouldn't be an issue--at the same time you might have that game with 4 kings and one player plays a street performer on top of discarding 1 and gaining one, thus gaining 2 kings and eliminating 1, so I get what you're saying.

My issue with the game is that you know at least the general spell level once the game gets up--you know when someone places at the back, so you may intentionall play spell 2 to block forbidden spells all the live long day. I think it would be nice if the spells are a little more randomized per book. That's just me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.