Paul Weinel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Dear Ema,

I have a question regarding both types of reserve mode.

In the BitE 3.0 rules it says:
"To put a unit in Reserve Mode, the phasing player have to spend 1 Action Point of an appropriate, activated HQ and puts 1 black barrel out of the common barrel pool on the unit." (Page 18)
Which I understand as activating an appropriate hq to put a unit in reserve mode (both motorization and reaction) and being able to move this unit in the exploitation or defender reaction phase - depending on type of reserve mode - without any further hq activation (as the movement alloowance has been "paid" earlier).

But on the "EXAMPLE OF PLAY - AXIS TURN. The Attack on Sebastopol"-sheet which comes with the 2nd Edition as a players aid it says the following:
During movement phase the 30th infantry corps is put in reserve mode (motorization) to be able to cross the straight of Kerch the same turn Sevastopol falls. So a hq activation is needed. (Up to this point there is no contradiction in my understanding of both paragraphs.)
But in the exploitation phase a second hq activation is mentioned to be able to move the 30th corps across the straight of Kerch.
So all in all - in my understanding - two hq activations are needed. One to put the unit in reserve mode and another to move this unit during the exploitation phase.

How many activations are needed? Can you please clarify my lack of understanding, Ema? Or anyone else who knows the right way as I am very impressed by the high level of argumentation and detailed knowledge on this site.
Thanks in advance for your help and a happy new year to everybody!!!

Ciao, ciao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Paul,

Happy New Year!

1 AP is needed to put an infantry unit in Reserve Mode during the Movement Phase - Motorization, so it can be moved during the Exploitation Phase.

Thus, thanks to your advice, the Example of Play must be clarified:

To be eligible for Exploitation, the phasing player must activate an Armor HQ (anywhere), but there is no need to commit any extra AP.

Did you find the Example of Play included in BLOCKS IN THE EAST useful as a walkthrough for the main rules and the turn sequence?

ALL THE BEST

ema
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Weinel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Dear Ema,

Thank you for your quick reply!!!
First of all I don't only want to ask for rule clarifications and ambiguities without saying how much I'm fascinated with your game. You managed to put a lot of realism and authenticity in it without an overwhelming amount of rules and exceptions to those rules.

Yeah, I like the idea of including an Example of Play. In many cases it helped me to better understand the rulebook and it got me a feeling of how the mechanics work in "reality".

I just noticed another minor issue concerning the use of the Gustav Heavy Siege Gun in the example. The rulebook says "The Gustav may overstack whenattacking a Bunker, a Fort or a Fortress."
In the example the Gustav Heavy Siege Gun overstacks in the combat phase (attacking a hex north of Sevastopol) AND in the actual battle of Sevastopol during Blitz Phase.
So can it be said that the Gustav Heavy Siege Gun may overstack as long as one of its battles is in a hex containing a Bunker, Fort or Fortress?

All the best

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again!

The rule regarding the Gustav Siege Gun has been lightly modified in the last years, so the Example of Play reports it as it was at that time (2012).

Up today, the rule is the one reported over the Gustav Siege Gun:

To synthetize, the mod is that the Gustav may overstack only when attacking a Bunker/Fort/Fortification.

ALL THE BEST

ema

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82585/example-play-and-sce...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.