Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Dodsworth
England
malton
north yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So after playing the first mission (Aftermath). In which the rebels failed due to terminals not being destroyed, begged me to ask the question:

Should the rebel player know the number of rounds he/she has to complete the objective.

What do you guys think? Feedback is gratefully recieved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the number of rounds should be known, it is part of the victory conditions. The number of rounds affects their strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!! Everything under "Mission Briefing" should be read to them - including how much time they have, what their mission is, and how to complete their mission. They are an elite Rebel strike team and this type of info would definately be given to them. The only hidden info to them is stuff that happens as the mission progresses such as when a door opens or when a new event is triggered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Westrip
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe what the OP meant by the question was 'Should the rebels know?', not from a game rules perspective but a game mechanic one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
sgwestrip wrote:
I believe what the OP meant by the question was 'Should the rebels know?', not from a game rules perspective but a game mechanic one.

Whichever way he meant, what's your take on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they shall not know, at least I'm playing it that way. Especially in Aftermath the radio signal that tells the heroes to hurry up wouldn't make any sense then. Also the tension is increased by playing that way. My rebel players do only know the most necessary, for example that they have to destroy terminals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything in the mission briefing section is supposed to be read to the rebel players. The number of rounds is in that section. So, yes, tell the rebel players how many rounds they have (unless you find a mission that the info is not in the mission briefing section).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaic wrote:
Everything in the mission briefing section is supposed to be read to the rebel players. The number of rounds is in that section. So, yes, tell the rebel players how many rounds they have (unless you find a mission that the info is not in the mission briefing section).

Sure? Everything I find about that in the campaign guide is that informations followed by a rebel sign should be offered to the rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
it says in the manual to give all the information in the mission briefing section, which usually includes the overall round limit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 18 of the rules reference.
"The Imperial player reads the “Mission Briefing” section of the mission’s rules aloud to all players."

Also, first page of the campaign guide says an event is any combo of story and rules text and should be read aloud when triggered. "Mission Briefing" is referred to as an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisback79 wrote:
Sure? Everything I find about that in the campaign guide is that informations followed by a rebel sign should be offered to the rebels.

I am 100% certain that, RAW, I am correct. Where does it say that you only read information followed by a rebel sign? I can't find that anywhere. However, the rules state that you read the entire mission briefing section, or the entire mission event section when it happens, in several places,

Pg.2 Campaign book wrote:

Mission events
"When an event is triggered, all of the text and rule information within that section is read aloud and resolved, in order"

Pg.11 learn to play wrote:
6. Read Mission Briefing: The Imperial player reads the “Mission Briefing” section of the mission rules aloud to the Rebel players. If there are any map tiles in the diagram that have names, he should also indicate these tiles and names to all players. He keeps the rest of the mission rules to himself until instructed to resolve them.

Pg.12 learn to play wrote:
At certain points during a mission, the Imperial player will be required to read information from the Campaign Guide aloud and resolve rules listed there.

These events are often triggered at the end of a certain game round, but may also be triggered when a specific situation occurs (for example, when a certain door is opened by a figure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, you're absolutely right! I'm afraid I've been a bit too drunken while reading the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no problem, glad I could help! This seems to be throwing a lot of people off. I think it's the wording on page 11 of Learn to Play that is causing the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.