United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V1 is no longer being updated. You can find the thread for V2 at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/21372119

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This variant is designed to fully automate the Emperor actions for co-op and solo play within an Imperial Assault campaign.

Automated Emperor (AE) cards are used to determine Imperial figure actions during the Emperor turn. The cards aid in choosing targets, and can be used to make multiple choice decisions for the Emperor.

The rules can be found in the files section at:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111869/redjaks-automated-...

Cards, and a copy of the rules, can be found under the Imperial Assault folder on my Google Drive at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzpR1-5sN2wASlZIQk9i...

This is still a rough draft. There are gaps in the rules which will be fleshed out in future updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this a bit early, as I wanted all of you to get your hands on it and start giving feedback.

I've uploaded the rules to the files section, just waiting for it to post.

The Agenda and Imperial Class rules are a bit thin right now.

The Blitz rules need some tweaking and clarification.

I've attempted to make target choice more straight-forward than it was in my Descent variant. The nice thing about Imperial Assault is that there are clearly defined win conditions for the Imperials, which makes it easier to determine what the Emperor would do.

I've merged a bit of Mice and Mystics into the target selection by making the Emperor favor closest targets first. I think this makes the AE a bit more efficient and deadly. The players are put into a position where they don't want one Rebel to run ahead of the group.

I hope you all like it, and look forward to your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Paul for such quick action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lhughes41 wrote:
Thanks Paul for such quick action.

Sleep is over-rated.

Though after seeing all the grammar errors I just found in the rules, I should probably get more sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, wasn't expecting something so quick. I'll do my best to go through it tomorrow.

Thanks, and happy new year :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After prepping the cards I got through about half of A New Threat using the Automated Emperor. Look away now to avoid mission spoilers.

Some initial feedback:

The rules seem clear, well written and easy to follow. Typos and suggested edits:

* Build AE Deck: change last sentence to "Decide how many Blitz cards you wish to include, add them to the AE deck and shuffle."

* Choose Rebel ID cards: Extra full stop at the end of para 1. Might be worth mentioning here that you can play with 2-4 hero characters.

I'm afraid the New Year's hangover is hitting hard, so proofreading is a bit of a challenge today. I'll try and take another stab when I feel a bit more with it.

Some early feedback specific to the mission I ran:

* "A New Threat" has multiple green deployment zones. I didn't see anything in the rules stating which to use when deploying new units, so it was a tossup between the least convenient for the Rebels, and the Binary Bit multi-choice approach. I picked the former, but it may be worth noting the correct method in the rules.

* It was notable in this scenario that due to the way the Engage rules work choke points were very powerful: the Rebels were able to back up a big queue of Imperials and the Imperials were limited in their ability to attack. They all just queued up rather than take more strategically effective locations.

* SPOILER: The Rebels knowing hidden information (specifically where and when General Weiss will appear on the map) gives them an advantage when planning their strategy they would not otherwise have. I'm guessing that is offset somewhat by the additional Threat the Imps pick up from Blitz cards?

* More a bit of bad luck than a criticism, but I pulled two of the three Blitz cards on turns 1 and 2, resulting in a big build up of Imperials early in the game. Time will tell if that buildup is overpowering (I'm only halfway through turn 3).

I'll keep the feedback coming as and when I get a chance to test more, but at this point I'm really impressed: the system works smoothly and feels very natural. I'm sure some tweaks will be required over time to balance things a bit but so far I love it. Fantastic job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carlwhite wrote:

* Build AE Deck: change last sentence to "Decide how many Blitz cards you wish to include, add them to the AE deck and shuffle."

I've already re-worked this section a bit. I'm changing the way Blitz cards are added to the AE deck.

Quote:

* Choose Rebel ID cards: Extra full stop at the end of para 1. Might be worth mentioning here that you can play with 2-4 hero characters.,

Nice catch on the extra full stop.

I lump the number of players into the 'normal Imperial Assault rules' category, so figured it didn't need mentioning. However, I can see how it would be worth noting it here.

Also, I should add a bit about when playing with less than four heroes, the ally will get a Rebel ID card as well.

Quote:

* "A New Threat" has multiple green deployment zones. I didn't see anything in the rules stating which to use when deploying new units, so it was a tossup between the least convenient for the Rebels, and the Binary Bit multi-choice approach. I picked the former, but it may be worth noting the correct method in the rules.

This is one of those gaps in the rules I mean to fill in. I expect I will rule for choosing a deployment point closest to the Rebels. With a secondary rule that if the players can't decide, then use the Binary Bit.

Quote:

* It was notable in this scenario that due to the way the Engage rules work choke points were very powerful: the Rebels were able to back up a big queue of Imperials and the Imperials were limited in their ability to attack. They all just queued up rather than take more strategically effective locations.

Yes, this is an issue. I'll have to add some logic for coming in from another direction if the shortest route is blocked.

Quote:

* SPOILER: The Rebels knowing hidden information (specifically where and when General Weiss will appear on the map) gives them an advantage when planning their strategy they would not otherwise have. I'm guessing that is offset somewhat by the additional Threat the Imps pick up from Blitz cards?

This is one of the reasons I added in the extra threat gain. The AI isn't smart enough to make smart decisions, and the players know the hidden information. Hopefully, making the AE a bit stronger will compensate.

Quote:

* More a bit of bad luck than a criticism, but I pulled two of the three Blitz cards on turns 1 and 2, resulting in a big build up of Imperials early in the game. Time will tell if that buildup is overpowering (I'm only halfway through turn 3).

With the new way I'm adding Blitz cards to the deck, build ups should no longer be an issue in the early game. Though in your case it seems more bad luch. The AE will have more Blitz cards later in the game, and the increased threat should be balanced by the increased deployment costs.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping I'll have some time to do some edits to the rules tomorrow. I also need to start adding more info for playing Imperial Class and Agenda cards.

I'm still waiting for BGG to post the rules in the files. I expect the delay is because of the holiday, they are usually pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put V1.0.1 up on my Google Drive. Notes are in the first post of this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be really, really dumb but:

Is that that's needed to use this to print off the rules and the sheets? I downloaded the sheets and the cards, but not sure what all is needed.

This looks fantastic though; really excited at the thought of playing this with my wife and I on a team!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historygamer89 wrote:
I may be really, really dumb but:

Is that that's needed to use this to print off the rules and the sheets? I downloaded the sheets and the cards, but not sure what all is needed.

This looks fantastic though; really excited at the thought of playing this with my wife and I on a team!

You need a copy of the rules, which is the RAEV pdf file. And print out a copy of the cards using the card sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really cool idea and I can't wait to try it! Here are my first impressions of the rules.

I don't like the idea of waiting until the deck is depleted to reshuffle because players can more easily predict when blitz cards will show up, or they know they're "safe" for a while once all the blitz cards are used. How about adding a "Reshuffle when revealed" card, or reshuffling every turn?

Is a binary choice system enough? Why not just flip a coin or roll a die? I like pulling a card if there's a good reason for using the cards (like cards with "when revealed" effects). If you listed numbers 1-4 in random order, you would have 24 unique sequences. That could also replace the colors when picking which player to attack. If there are less than four options, just ignore any not used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macgowan wrote:
This is a really cool idea and I can't wait to try it! Here are my first impressions of the rules.

I don't like the idea of waiting until the deck is depleted to reshuffle because players can more easily predict when blitz cards will show up, or they know they're "safe" for a while once all the blitz cards are used. How about adding a "Reshuffle when revealed" card, or reshuffling every turn?

As more Blitz cards get added to the deck, I don't see this as being a problem.

And I would not have players shuffle the deck every turn. I like to keep it simple and fast.

Quote:

Is a binary choice system enough? Why not just flip a coin or roll a die? I like pulling a card if there's a good reason for using the cards (like cards with "when revealed" effects). If you listed numbers 1-4 in random order, you would have 24 unique sequences. That could also replace the colors when picking which player to attack. If there are less than four options, just ignore any not used.

Flipping a coin would be the same as using the Binary Bit. I feel it is enough for now. I did use a 1-4 system in my Descent variant, but I'm trying something different here. The Rebel colors are there for fast target choosing, I'm not going to replace that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are up in the files section now. Though, they are a version behind.

I'm also working on tuck boxes. As I complete a set of boxes, they will show up on my Google Drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ritchie
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
First, this is GREAT. Thanks for doing it.

Having said that, here is my one observation: it seems like AE figures have a lot of unused movement points at the end of their activation. This tends to create clogged figures. I would love to see something that causes the figures to do something with those points once they have fired. For example...

(1) if there is a square that is outside the line of sight of one or more Rebel figures to which it can legally move, it will move to that space.

or...

(2) move to form a group that "blocks" any upcoming rebel objective.

or...

(3) otherwise get out of the space just to make room for other figures that may need to occupy it in future activations.

or...

(4) move into a space that is not adjacent to any other figure (e.g., avoid Havoc Shots and grenades).

Might be too hard to make simple rules that make this work, but it will definitely make the AE's tactics feel more like what a human opponent will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattritchie wrote:
First, this is GREAT. Thanks for doing it.

Having said that, here is my one observation: it seems like AE figures have a lot of unused movement points at the end of their activation. This tends to create clogged figures. I would love to see something that causes the figures to do something with those points once they have fired. For example...

(1) if there is a square that is outside the line of sight of one or more Rebel figures to which it can legally move, it will move to that space.

or...

(2) move to form a group that "blocks" any upcoming rebel objective.

or...

(3) otherwise get out of the space just to make room for other figures that may need to occupy it in future activations.

or...

(4) move into a space that is not adjacent to any other figure (e.g., avoid Havoc Shots and grenades).

Might be too hard to make simple rules that make this work, but it will definitely make the AE's tactics feel more like what a human opponent will do.

This is an issue in my Descent variant as well.

I'm working on making rules for maneuvering around blocks, as well as having figures move out of melee/reach range if they have left over movement points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing out putting a border on the AE cards. I wanted to do this so that it would be easier to make a bleed area when creating the hi-res cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.0.2 is in the works.

There will be some adjustments to the Blitz and Engage rules. Also new cards that will have a border.

Still working on a method to handle the Imperial Class and Agenda cards better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have this game lying on my shelve for weeks now, still in shrinkwrap untill I get the chance to play this regularly but following this thread and its progress with much interest.

Thanks for doing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V1.0.2 has been uploaded.

Clarified the Engage rules. Imperial figures will always Engage the Imperial Win Condition target.

Adjusted Blitz rules. Made the target choice clearer. Changed threat gain to 2 threat when the Blitz card is drawn. It seemed to me that the previous method had the potential to give too much threat, which would severely unbalance the game.

Added a border to the cards to make it easier to create a bleed area when making the hi-res cards. Sorry, still no hi-res cards yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi-res cards are up on my Google Drive. This doesn't mean that there won't be changes to the cards at some point in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yacullo
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I just ordered Automated Overlord cards yesterday, haha!

Thanks for doing this, really excited to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the aftermath missing yesterday using your solo variant and I must say it works really well and the Imperial AI made some clever choices. I still had to maneuver the troopers as I saw fitting but I have to say that the system works.

Thanks for putting this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
I played the aftermath missing yesterday using your solo variant and I must say it works really well and the Imperial AI made some clever choices. I still had to maneuver the troopers as I saw fitting but I have to say that the system works.

Thanks for putting this out

Glad you enjoy it.

There are still a lot of gaps that need to be filled. I'm working on it slowly. There will be better rules for maneuvering Imperial figures so that they don't just bunch up. I'm also working on a better way to handle Agenda and Imperial Class cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L

Czech republic
msg tools
mbmbmb
Technical notice about term 'Binary bit'. The Bit mean 'binary digit', so it is always binary . It is the same as 'wet water' or 'round wheel' .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mirac wrote:
Technical notice about term 'Binary bit'. The Bit mean 'binary digit', so it is always binary . It is the same as 'wet water' or 'round wheel' .

And I should know that since I have studied grammar and English usage. Oh well, guess I'll have to fix that.

Right after I make a trip to the ATM machine and put in my PIN number...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |