BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deck builders with quick, non-mathy turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been liking Friday so I decided to try a deck builder to play with my husband. I got Star Realms and also got the app, and after playing alone a bunch of times I don't think it's going to work for us. There's too much adding, subtracting and keeping track of special powers each turn - as a couple it will be too finicky for us.
So, recommend a deck builder that's not like this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very few deck builders have the same level of math as Star Realms. It's the main reason I only play Star Realms on a device.

I'd suggest the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, it's relatively simple with a lot of depth and almost no math.

Plus the theme is just fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
pandora75 wrote:
I've been liking Friday so I decided to try a deck builder to play with my husband. I got Star Realms and also got the app, and after playing alone a bunch of times I don't think it's going to work for us. There's too much adding, subtracting and keeping track of special powers each turn - as a couple it will be too finicky for us.

Valley of the Kings is quite good and interesting without being as focused on drawing lots of cards or many numerical operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Fantastiqa is your best bet. The rucksack edition should still be available. In most deck builders you're just adding numbers together to see if you can purchase/defeat something. Here you're just matching symbols. It's a neat take on deck-building, and works very well for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Valley of the Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
pandora75 wrote:

Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for DC Deck Building - I definitely like the clarity of card abilities and there is only one thing to track (power). Turns can get a little convoluted if you start playing a lot of card synergies ('buy a card and place on top of deck", then play a 'draw a card' card, then buy something else, etc.). But overall it's fast, light and fun.

I might also suggest Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer. While it has two types of 'currency', it's still pretty light and doesn't have a lot to keep track of on a given turn. Later expansions can add some complexity, the A:CoG is pretty straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
While there is some math, it's not much more than adding to 10, so check out Paperback if you also enjoy word games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not suggested here yet so I'll throw out:

Puzzle Strike (Third Edition)

Lots of fun, great components and presentation, and designed specifically for 2P play in mind. (can play up to 4) It's an excellent Deck Builder with a fun tetris/bubblebobble style win/lose condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about imperial settlers? It is not strictly deck building but feels an awful lot like one in my opinion, plays quickly and is much fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DC deck builder is a great choice, has a lot a depth and the game moves very quickly.

Nightfall is another great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains -- each player's turn goes very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be confused. When I saw "quick, non-mathy turns" my immediate thought was Star Realms.

What is considered "mathy?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pandora Pandora
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe mathy isn't the right word. I like playing star realms on my phone but you can end up playing more than ten cards each turn with bonuses, bases etc. and keeping track of the numbers and how all the cards interact is going to be tedious for us - I like when my phone does it for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I must be confused. When I saw "quick, non-mathy turns" my immediate thought was Star Realms.

What is considered "mathy?"

At minimum, you need to add together two separate sets of numbers (damage and purchase), and deduct one set from an on-going health number.

At maximum, you add a third set for healing which adjusts a second on going health number. You need to take into affect the numerous bases that can come into play which will adjust all three sets and add in the draws, destroys, and other special abilities.

Star Realms has a very fiddly, high math quotient. Fortunately the online version does all of the fiddly math for me, letting me enjoy it as a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brown Fox
msg tools
pandora75 wrote:
Maybe mathy isn't the right word. I like playing star realms on my phone but you can end up playing more than ten cards each turn with bonuses, bases etc. and keeping track of the numbers and how all the cards interact is going to be tedious for us - I like when my phone does it for me

I'm not sure if this would apply. I'm guessing that non-mathy means you wish to limit the amount of interactions between cards (ie: the complexity). It's one of the reasons I like Star Realms over Dominion. I like the simplified approach to deck building found in Star Realms.

Perhaps an easier approach to deck building would be Quarriors. It's deck building, but with dice. At first, the concept may sound cheezy. The nay-sayers might say the element of luck is too great. However, I must admit that I love playing this game even though I loose quite often. It's got great replay value.

There's not much interaction between the various dice. Draw your dice, roll them, buy more dice or pay the cost to play dice. If your dice in play survives a round, then you score victory points for those dice. That's pretty much it.

Sure there's luck, but like any game with dice, it's all about luck management. Although simple to grasp, I think Quarriors gives a nice blend of luck vs strategy. There's minor complexity, but not much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings.

You're mostly doing a few set things in each turn, not laying out card after card, combo-ing off each other like bacteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.