Subject: Mini review/First Impression - Design Town rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Flip City which takes deck building to the next level. Design town is a short filler. You have a small deck of 9 starting cards. Your deck is face up so you know the first card you'll play. This is one of the neat things about the game. The cards are double sided with different buildings and functions on each side. You have to be careful not to accidentally flip the cards.

Like it's predecessors you play cards to your tableau and you can use them to purchase more cards and use their special abilities. There are 4 types of cards you can purchase. The new mechanism is that you can also choose to upgrade your cards in the discard pile. This means the card is now flipped to it's other side and has new values and functions.

The goal of the game is to get cards with 8 VP markers

in your tableau in one turn or to play 18 cards. It sounds easy enough but the trick is that some cards have frowny faces.
If you play 3 frowny faces to your tableau your turn ends immediately. Yes, you are allowed to see the next card in your deck but some cards must be played and of course they have frowny faces so it adds a nice Can't Stop or push your luck element to the game.

I'm generally not a huge fan of deck builders, but Design Town adds a few more interesting twists to it. After my first play I was kind of "meh" but 5 or 6 plays later I've enjoyed exploring it. I prefer it with 2 players. The cards are very well balanced with the "take that" cards cost just enough to make a player think twice about using them. I've seen wins with 8VP and with 18 cards being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the mini review!
There seem to be some typo I guess?
Quote:
The new mechanism is that you can also choose to upgrade your cards in the discard pile. This means the card is not now flipped to it's other side and has new values and functions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, I'll correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Where did you get the game from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ethidium wrote:
Where did you get the game from?

Send a PM to smoox up there.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or down here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Order other game from him here. Everything went very well. No issues, package arrived quickly.

Now... how badly do I want this one...

Any chance it will show up at Funagain smoox?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
codetornado wrote:
Order other game from him here. Everything went very well. No issues, package arrived quickly.

Now... how badly do I want this one...

Any chance it will show up at Funagain smoox?

Very likely. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's currently available at Boardgamebliss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Flip City the same as Design town? I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, was an earlier edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.