BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Soloable game that resembles retro CRPGs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for something that resembles old console/computer RPGs (think Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior, Ultima, etc.) that's suitable for solo play. Runebound, for example, always sort of reminds me of Ultima, and while it's not really a solitaire game, it can be played that way without too much fuss.

What about Arcadia Quest or Super Dungeon Explore? I know they're competitive games rather than co-op, which usually means good solo play is unlikely, but I'd like to be proven wrong here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sub'd for ideas, since I love those old games as well. Unfortunately, I've really not found any board games that can match that sort of experience, especially solo. There's just too much progression and tracking and work to make those old games long and enjoyable, that would just be fiddly or ridiculously long in a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What part of those games are you looking for? The epic quests? The levelling?

I think Return of the Heroes had questing that you have to accomplish, but no levelling.

I don't actually know much about Legends of Andor but may be worth looking into.

You may also want to come join the 1 Player guild. You'll find a lot more discussion and probably more than a few ideas there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LonerVamp wrote:
Sub'd for ideas, since I love those old games as well. Unfortunately, I've really not found any board games that can match that sort of experience, especially solo. There's just too much progression and tracking and work to make those old games long and enjoyable, that would just be fiddly or ridiculously long in a board game.

Yeah, I don't expect anything to try to mimic even Dragon Quest I exactly. The length and mathematical depth of those video games makes them unsuitable to be directly translated to a board game. But capturing the feel would be doable. Most of those old games had to rely on exploration, variety of monsters and equipment, and other gameplay elements that compensated for the primitive storytelling abilities of those old machines. I suspect that's doable in board game format, and Runebound has come pretty close already (whether intentional or not).

Mage Knight seems like the other end of the scale, where they tried to put too much meat into the game, and it lacks focus as a result. I know a lot of people love MK, but I just couldn't really get into it.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game isn't bad, but without any maps or exploration, it tends to get a bit samey after a while.

I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me that Aradia Quest works great solo, and I'll go warm up the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Interesting
badge
Dance Dance Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Super Dungeon Explore? I know they're competitive games rather than co-op, which usually means good solo play is unlikely, but I'd like to be proven wrong here.

At the moment you are correct but with the pending release of SDE: Forgotten King there is a soloable game there now
from BGG description " Arcade Mode, which allows for a fully co-operative game for up to five players."

From the kickstarter "In Arcade Mode, all players take the role of the Heroes. The Arcade Deck controls the dungeon, issuing the Consul's commands for his minions: how they engage the Heroes, where to attack, and when to unleash their devastating special actions."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1257458293/super-dungeo...

I was part of the kickstarter and cannot wait for them to ship. should be soon though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Interesting
badge
Dance Dance Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:

I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me that Aradia Quest works great solo, and I'll go warm up the car.

Though not sure if Arcadia quest would ever be solo due to the competing guild mechanics. though my friend
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
might have a bit of insight on it since he kickstarted it and has it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore is my favorite game of all time. Hands down, no questions asked.

If you were to do enough looking you can view the "solo" rules, as they have released some playtest versions. however the actual solo ruleset will not be available until at least February when "Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King" expansion releases. and all of the old models will have solo play rules as well. So you might want to invest with the little knowledge available now, or perhaps look elswhere if you don't want to wait.

That being said, Mage Knight Board Game is not quite as fancy as SDE, but it will certainly scratch a deep solo itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I've never played those computer games.

But I do enjoy RPG-like boardgames. What part of the RPG-in-a-boardgame are you looking for? And how important is the theme?

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients & Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death are set in the weird wild west, and is great fun from a character-building/leveling-up standpoint. There isn't an overarching campaign goal - it's more of a sandbox RPG. But there's already fan-made content for campaigns and story-arcs.

I've played Arcadia Quest once. It looks like it could play solo if you omit the PvP objectives, but with only one having seen one mission, I can't really say that with any certainty. My one play was fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is primarily PvP. So any Solo play would be home brewed. It's an amazing game out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin N
Canada
Victoria
British columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients & Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death are set in the weird wild west, and is great fun from a character-building/leveling-up standpoint. There isn't an overarching campaign goal - it's more of a sandbox RPG. But there's already fan-made content for campaigns and story-arcs.

Having played a few old school RPGs, I feel like these are probably the closest you'll get in a soloable type game.

not many games have a real "story" element to them. This one you could very easily put a story into the sessions, and have character development take place.

the majority of board games that mimic old school RPGs usually take the form of something like Dungeon Hack. procedurally generated, and more focused on the hacking and slashing.

The upside to something like SoB, is you get fan made content like this Dark Occurrence at Woodenvale which gives some level of story element to the game, as well as having yours and other peoples decisions / experiences mold the outcomes.

So, in short, Shadows of Brimstone is probably the closest you'll get to an old school CRPG, so long as you're looking for the hack and slash element with character advancement added in.

Mage Knight doesn't really have character advancement beyond the session that you're playing.

Descent 2nd Ed requires more than one person to play.

I'm unfamiliar with Super Dungeon Explore.

Arcadia Quest would be challenging to make a solo variant around, and again would focus on the hack and slash like Shadows of Brimstone. I'm not sure how the character advancement is done... but it appears that it's purely gear driven. So, IMO Shadows of Brimstone is better here.

I hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I didn't know about the expansion for co-op Super Dungeon Explore. I'll definitely have to keep my eyes out for that.

I have Mage Knight, but I don't care for it all that much. I just feel like there are too many game mechanics competing for your attention. There's a lot of cool ideas there, but there's just too much of it at once. Something with complexity in the neighborhood of Runebound or Talisman (played with piles of expansions, naturally) would be closer to what I'm after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a bit of a stretch, but The Isle of Doctor Necreaux is a small card game about your 'party' of heroes going through a series of traps and monsters, one at a time. Each potential "party member" is drawn from a huge selection at the start of the game, and each brings some unique special ability to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Magic Realm?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
How about Magic Realm?

Bye
Thanee

Funny, I was just going to suggest this as well. There is a print and play version in the files section I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legends of the Ancient World series from Dark City Games, Inc. perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.