Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to which way everyone is doing the upgrade phase order?

On the campaign sheet and on the back of the Learn to play guide it says players spend credits first and then spend XP. But, in the Reference book it has spend XP first, and credits 2nd.

For those non-decent players it might not seem like a big deal, but in descent it is. Players always wished they could see what items they could purchase before the decide which skills to spend XP on. In Descent they must spend their XP first. Some classes have skills for ranged or melee weapons so they "really" want to see what weapons drop before choosing a skill.

I will be playing it by the Reference Guide and not by the LtP guide.

I haven't read through the class cards to know if it matters yet, but it will as expansions come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaboda
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow seems like a big proofreading/editing mistake there. I just checked the Imperial Upgrade and it is backwards from the way it's listed in Learn to Play as well. So wonder which is the intended way?

I'd lean towards the Rules Reference as well because even in the Learn to Play says to refer to Rules Reference if any questions arise. But would be nice to see an official word on which way it should be. Probably should check FFG forums to see if anything is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it like that there is no order (e.g. you would purchase items first but in essence you can do it in any order). Same for the IP with his XP and Agenda cards.

Edit: That's what the LTP guide actually says for the Rebel AND IP. Spend Cash/Influence first, then XP.

The LTP guide actually does not say anything about the order. Sadly FFG did not learn how to use numbered lists properly, yet.

The RGG though is rather specific:
Quote:
They can first spend experience points to purchase new Class cards and can then spend credits to purchase new Item cards.

In this case I'd though go with the LTP cause it has it twice. Once in the middle of the LTP and once on its back.

Same goes for the IP:
Quote:
He can first spend experience points to purchase new Class cards and then influence to purchase new Agenda cards.

Both still miss the numbered lists concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
XP first means more short term randomness, XP last (or any order) means more short term strategy.

Linked to: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17864499#17864499

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to believe the Reference Guide has FFG's/designer's intended order. First, it's more authoritative than the Learn to Play guide and a reference sheet on the back of the Campaign Guide. Second, it explicitly states an order with the text as written.

We're playing it "level up" then "buy up." --DG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it fast and relaxed, rebels can spend XP and credits in the order they want, while I think about the class cards.

As the IP I was also relaxed about XP and influence, but I still did it in the right order in the previous-to-last game and noticed that decision on the XP/class card(s) should really be done first, because getting or not getting specific agenda cards (especially forced mission) might otherwise affect my decision on which class card to pick or not pick. (I purchased Impounded as a forced mission and won it by getting a opportune Stun on the last round.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasi,

Ah, good point. Well, then I will say that's another indicator that -- regardless of how anyone wants to play it (which I'm good with) -- for my group, the Reference Guide will be our authoritative source.

"Leveling up" and then buying just feels a bit more thematic and logical to me, anyway. --D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.