Run, Fight, or Die!» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game a zombie version of king of tokyo?.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean they both have dice but are they related in spirit too?...king of tokyo is a game thats easy to learn and i can play it with anybody...its going to cost me 52 USD to get it so want to know if its as cool as i think it is..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How will you be mainly playing this? Solitaire or coop with friends?

I haven't played King of Tokyo, although with all the talk about it on BGG I guess I should take a look!!!

I own Run, Fight, or Die and enjoy it immensely, although I play it primarily solo! I have all the expansions so I can change the game up a bit to keep it different and challenging. If you plan on only getting the base game it will eventually get old so I must recommend getting some or all the expansions at a later date!

Yes, it is a dice game and luck does have a factor in the outcome but the cards, the characters and the special abilities of the characters add a very nice twist and enhancement to game play that would otherwise be a game of pure luck!

It's pretty easy to play once you get past the "IMHO" terrible rule book! I feel this could have been written a lot better to make the learning process easier! After you get two games under your belt it’s a snap and play becomes second nature. One thing you have to try and remember is your characters special combo-dice ability because I missed using it a number of times while it was my turn due to forgetting to catch roll when it happened! You get so wrapped up in the game play that you overlook a combo roll that matches a player’s special ability! Bummer!

Just remember the more people you have playing the game the more you will sit and watch others make decisions while you do nothing but wait! This can get a little old when playing a 4 or 5 player game but there are times with you can throw out suggestions and help when things get tough and laugh as bad things happen to other players!! Maybe it’s just me but I can't help but laugh when I see my buddy get overrun by a horde of zombies as if I was watching an actual zombie movie! Too funny and yet we all lost the game! Go figure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would play it with others and i dont think the same-ness woukd bother me since i think this game is more deep then KOT..are there a lot of decisions in this game that slows it down?..maybe the difference lies in that KOT is more interactive and run fight or die doesnt really allow players to hurt ech other?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has the same Yahtzee like mechanic as KOT.

It is not as easy to learn as KOT is, but isn't hard to learn either.

The only bad thing I can say about run fight or die is that there are a lot of different faces on the dice.
It isn't necessarily obvious what these faces signify.
There is only one dice "legend" included in the box, it's somewhat large and we have to pass it around a lot.
This is aggravated by the fact that I have a kickstarter copy and a small amount of the materials reference die faces that changed during production.

I really like Run, Fight, or Die, I think it is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I trust you Bigblock so now i just need to to find a few more small games so i will get free shipping...i think i read somewhere that you are suppossed to pass the player aid around to the active player..I hope they fixed the problems you mentioned in the store version..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
I trust you Bigblock so now i just need to to find a few more small games so i will get free shipping...i think i read somewhere that you are suppossed to pass the player aid around to the active player..I hope they fixed the problems you mentioned in the store version..

The icon issues are on the Gencon character that was produced before the game was and maybe on an exclusive card or two.

There was one card in the base game. A corrected card was thrown into the sealed box allowing you to just throw away the wrong card.

It is not one of the games that I play all of the time, but I do like it.
I hope that you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the core mechanics of KoT is the direct player interaction. In RFD, you're not often directly affecting the other players. There is the occasional card that causes one player to give zombies to another player, or cause wounds to all players. Mostly, you're trying to balance surviving the zombies with gathering followers. The game is rich in theme, and it's a big old messy luck fest. My wife likes to play it co-op (requires expansion #3), and I play it solo, but I haven't had as much luck introducing it as a competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The more i think about it the more i think i should have said is this game like king of new york hehe..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
The more i think about it the more i think i should have said is this game like king of new york hehe..

I can't say, I have not played King of New York.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should try it...i think i like KOT more since its more simple and faster..KONY takes more thinking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I'm debating getting this one. My wife only plays co-op so I would need to get the base plus the co-op expansion. Would probably get the brutal expansion to add variety as well.

I would also like to try the solo game. Question: The Kickstarter page refers to a bonus co-op scenario not available in the retail version. Anyone know if this will be made available at some point for those who missed the kickstarter?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
I haven't been able to find RFOD pretty much anywhere. It's available on Amazon for a hundred bucks but the only other place that had it for under 40, indicates it's out of stock indefinitely. Anybody know why this this game has apparently been swallowed up by a black hole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveJames wrote:
I haven't been able to find RFOD pretty much anywhere. It's available on Amazon for a hundred bucks but the only other place that had it for under 40, indicates it's out of stock indefinitely. Anybody know why this this game has apparently been swallowed up by a black hole?

The first print run ran out. Simple as that. Jason/8th Summit ran a Kickstarter for another print run (or more properly a 2nd edition?) of the game, and that is schedule to arrive in July, I believe.

Until then, good luck finding it at a reasonable price. It sold out quickly for a reason - it's a very fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave James

La Palma
California
msg tools
mb
Thanks Michael, guess I'll have to wait and see whether it actually gets another run. It does sound like fun and is one of the few Zombie games that really got my attention.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.