Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: painting [+] [View All]
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started painting my miniatures but I'm pretty novice I practices on a few reapers miniatures to get better at brush skills. What sealant is recommended for after using Army Paints with quick shade in order to prevent the paint from chipping any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people seem to like Testor's Dullcote. Nice protection while maintaining a nice matte finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I'll try it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the quick shade does pretty good itself in protecting the actual paint. I just got back to painting in the past year so the quick shades are a welcome "new" product for me. It looks a lot like what we used to make with Future Floor Wax and inks back in the early 2000s

The Dullcote is for an extra layer of protection - but it really is there to get the glare down off the minis. Dullcote is not as durable as other "shiny" sealers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using future floor wax as a sealant for years with great success. I've tried several other methods and none offer the same level of protection. I dip the mini in future, dab off the excess, then after 24 hours do a second dip. 24 hours after that I hit it with a spray of Army Painter matte varnish to take the shine off. After that you can throw plastic minis against the wall with no paint damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Army Painter Sealant for all of my projects.

Priming is also an important part of durability. I use P3 Formula; black for deep dark color, and white if I plan on using lighter shades. Switched to P3 from using Krylon, never going back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kowalczuk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
Lots of people seem to like Testor's Dullcote. Nice protection while maintaining a nice matte finish.

Will "Dullcote" take the stickiness out of my mini's? I painted them with Testor's enamel. (now I find out I shouldn't have used those paints, but what's done is done)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For every miniature I have ever painted I have used Vallejo Matt Varnish slightly thinned with water and I have never had any problems.

I have also recently started priming plastic miniatures with slightly thinned gesso, which goes on really thick but shrinks down to a very thin layer that reveals all the fine detail of the model whilst giving it a much rougher surface for acrylic paint to adhere to. I was a little scared using this at first but it does work well for plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred sealing method is brush on sealer from reaper, then a few sprays of testors dullcote to take away the glossiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.