4 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: City Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dark Helmet
msg tools
mb
I'm asking lots of questions lately, sorry. Got a couple games later this week and I'm trying to make sure all rules are clear.

How does one attack a city? Do they move into city outskirts and declare they are attacking? Or do they move onto the ACTUAL square of the city?

And if a player has the Brandenburg Gate, does that make them immune to City Attacks, as opponents cannot end movement in outskirts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To your first question: figures may never occupy a city space EXCEPT when it is an opponent attacking a city. That's a roundabout way of saying that the city attack is declared when the figures move INTO the city. Figures can sit in enemy outskirts just fine, and may wish to do so in order to deactivate a building or great person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
DarkHelmet232 wrote:
I'm asking lots of questions lately, sorry. Got a couple games later this week and I'm trying to make sure all rules are clear.

How does one attack a city? Do they move into city outskirts and declare they are attacking? Or do they move onto the ACTUAL square of the city?

And if a player has the Brandenburg Gate, does that make them immune to City Attacks, as opponents cannot end movement in outskirts?

To attack a City, you have to move onto the City square (the city center).

Brandenburg Gate forbid other players figures to stay in the outskirts, but it doesn't forbid them to attack the City as the City center is not considered as part of the outskirts.
Also, you can move trought the oustkisrts of a player who haves the Brandenburg gate but cannot end your movement in the outskirts. It's quite logical as you have to move trought the outskirts to attack the City center.

Also, you cannot spot on the Brandenburg Gate itself as the ability is preventive.
The only way to stop in the outskirts or on the wonder itself is by using a Spy on Communism while crossing the square but the movement you made still had to be legal, meaning you had enough movement to hypotheticly leave the outskirts.

For example, you want to blockade the Brandenburg gate. Your figure is at 3 squares of it and you have a travel speed of 3. You cannot stop on the wonder even with a Spy on Communism.
But if you had a travel speed of 4, you can do so and stop with a Spy on Communism on the wonder because the movement was legal (you could have falled back to leave the outskirts).

Brandenburg is one of the most awkward case in ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a way to make your city immune with Brandenburg Gate. Place armies around your city so the enemy has to stop in the outskirts to fight the armies first. Since he can't stop in the outskirts he can't attack the city (obviously onyl till he destroys the Gate or researches planes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.