Subject: Few Random Rule Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Eide
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
1. If you level a character in a previous adventure, such as adventure 2 in the book, when you do 3 do you stay a level 2 or do you go back to level 1 and have to relevel in each adventure?

2. So we did #3 last night, and found Klak in his lab. When doing the boss scenario do you still draw and resolve Encounter cards? We did and it killed us, because the card clearly says if you don't draw a tile you have to draw an encounter.

3. Is there a way to get additional healing surges other than 2? Why are there 5 in the box?

4. Do we get to keep Treasures from previous games, so the Icon that we got in Adventure #2 does that stay with us to use?

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verny wrote:
1. If you level a character in a previous adventure, such as adventure 2 in the book, when you do 3 do you stay a level 2 or do you go back to level 1 and have to relevel in each adventure?

2. So we did #3 last night, and found Klak in his lab. When doing the boss scenario do you still draw and resolve Encounter cards? We did and it killed us, because the card clearly says if you don't draw a tile you have to draw an encounter.

3. Is there a way to get additional healing surges other than 2? Why are there 5 in the box?

Thanks guys!

It's your game, so you can play it any way you want, but typically you re level in each adventure unless you are playing a campaign.

Yes, you draw encounters unless otherwise stated in the scenario rules. It's tough.

You can adjust the level of difficulty by changing the number of surges. Reducing it to 1 makes it harder, increasing to 3 makes it easier. I think there are five so each player can have one if you are playing a competitive mission with all five heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verny wrote:

Back to level 1 for every scenario. This is a board game, not an RPG.

Verny wrote:

Yup. The final showdown does NOT stop encounters from happening.

Verny wrote:

Not typically. What I have done, as a test against myself, is run through scenario 1 (solo) and see how many healing surges it took me to complete. 5 means I didn't do so good.

Verny wrote:
4. Do we get to keep Treasures from previous games, so the Icon that we got in Adventure #2 does that stay with us to use?

Nope. See (1). This is a simple board game, not an RPG.

All that being said, as was mentioned above, it's your game, you play it the way you want to have the most fun from it. Want everyone to have their own single healing surge (no sharing!) then you can do that. Encounters too tough when going up against Strahd? Then stop drawing them. Wanna RPG it? There's rules here somewhere in BGG for additional levels. Warning, monsters need to level up too! As long as you are all having fun with it, then you're doing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the cleric has an ability that basically gives you a free healing surge. If you get lucky enough to get a treasure item that let's you flip over a used ability this can translate to two free healing surges. If we have more than two people playing we pretty much always have a cleric in the party. He has made the difference between victory and defeat on many occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eide
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks so much guys! Appreciate the help. Really been enjoying this with my kids. Thinking about Shadows of Brimstone next, or maybe the other two in this family with Raveloft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verny wrote:
Thanks so much guys! Appreciate the help. Really been enjoying this with my kids. Thinking about Shadows of Brimstone next, or maybe the other two in this family with Raveloft.

Have heard many positive reviews on SoB. Sounds like a great game. Co-operative with campaign progression too so is probably a perfect fit for you and your family in that regard.

One caveat I would highlight though is that I have also heard that putting together the mini's for SoB is a real pain. Not sure if you have any experience with multi-part models (couldn't tell from your profile) so wanted to make sure you were aware of the need to build the models before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eide
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Jokemeister wrote:
Verny wrote:

Have heard many positive reviews on SoB. Sounds like a great game. Co-operative with campaign progression too so is probably a perfect fit for you and your family in that regard.

One caveat I would highlight though is that I have also heard that putting together the mini's for SoB is a real pain. Not sure if you have any experience with multi-part models (couldn't tell from your profile) so wanted to make sure you were aware of the need to build the models before playing.

Thanks Meister.... I demoed SoB at GenCon but wasn't aware of putting together the minis. Can't imagine it's much more than attaching them to bases but perhaps I'm wrong. Would be up for the challenge, or at least my teenage son might be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Verny wrote:

I would go for a double solution.

Buy Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game as it is the best of the 3 boxes of D&D and/or I would pick up Descent 2nd Edition with the latest expansions to allow Descent to be played as co op or SOLO play with official rules in the box.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls Read about it and while this solution is more expensive, you'll have Descent in both full co op (solo mode) as well as a full fledged massive dugeon crawler supported by FFG in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.