Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting to study this one for a possible face-to-face session. Any tips or tricks? the change game map scale throws me a bit - does this effect play in any way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JEALOUSsoblue

ENJOY

Union or Reb?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't know till we sit down to play - maybe even a toss of the die if no preference at the table.

Have to finish up a Pea Ridge restart first so this will be a be a months in the future I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Bill, come on over and I will lay the game out on the table sooner than my other opponent is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey - enjoy! This has to be the smallest and shortest of the games in the series, so unlike Pea Ridge and the rest, it is easily doable in an evening.

The key, I think, is to be exceedingly aggressive as Early, and push hard. You can keep people guessing where your two efforts to cross will be, but you will have to commit, and once you do it will be a struggle. But it is exciting.

Most people feel the Union will always win this. I won't say always, but they do seem to have the inside track, at the very least. Some of it depends on when / if you find the hidden ford, but some of it _I THINK_ is due to how much you telegraph your intentions for the crossing. One is obvious, but you will have to decide if you are more or less doubling down on that one, or trying two separate crossings.

I have taken the bridge. It can be done. As I recall, I've seen the bridge go up in flames as often as I've taken it.

But while subterfuge is important for the attacker, subtlety is NOT. Hit it hard and get across. You likely won't get to Washington, but how close you get is the key! Good luck Ryan!

Thomas - keep me honest here! Have I told any lies? What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By the way - am I missing something? Is there a scale change here? The real change is in the Jackson at the Crossroads, which does impact things greatly in that game. Here, in DOW, I do not see much change.

Share more details, please!

---Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year, Russ

You and I should give this a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Laubach
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no scale change from most of the GBACW version 1 games. Drive on Washington is 125 yards/hex like Stonewall, Pea Ridge, Wilson's Creek, Cedar Mountain, and Gleam of Bayonets. Terrible Swift Sword is 120 (close enough). Bloody April is the odd one out at 115.

Also, if you want to put your finger on the scales in favor of the Confederates, there is a variant where Breckinridge joins the fight in the article "Rough Going in '64" (Moves #50).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By the way Ryan, in getting replies from Thomas and James on this thread, you likely have the most informed guys possible discussing this with you.

Some links: James discusses strategy for different GBACW v1 games:

http://www.russgifford.net/Tactics.htm

Link to the Moves article that James referenced:

http://www.spigames.net/SPIVariations.htm

Two entries under 'Drive on Washington'

And the full profile article:

http://www.spigames.net/SPIProfiles.htm

And I know you know where the link to the free GBACW downloads are at:

(So I am really doing this for others that might stumble on this thread!)

http://www.russgifford.net/Free_Samples.htm

And of course all these goodies are actually linked back to

http://www.spigames.net

Enjoy!

---Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - this is all great info. I look forward to my play of this one. Before then Pea Ridge on the table for Saturday. I will let you know how that one goes.

What I meant by the scale change for DoW is the terrain effects chart (5.19) changes the movement point allowances (infantry is now 5, mounted cav only 10, artillery a slower 8 MPs). I assumed (wrongly?) that this was a scale change.

Everything else looks the same from Pea Ridge (weapon ranges, stacking, ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James,

Do you have the counter set image at a higher resolution image? I printed it out regular counter size and it was blurry. Maybe there is a trick to getting it printed out better I am unaware of.

Way cool set by the way.

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Laubach
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,

The countersheet is also available in Drive on Washington, Images. If the resolution of the original image is not working for you then please let me know.

-jgl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That did the trick - the Images section photo was at a very good resolution and printed just fine. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.