2 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Some questions about a custom risk board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dell Kyipn
Canada
flag msg tools
I want to make a custom risk board, since the old one me and friends play with is old, and I find the new ones don't have all the right changes.

1: I want it to be a folding board, what material should the hard part be?

2:
I'm going to be designing it with GIMP (whether I print it out or paint it copying the design, I don't know yet), does anyone have a good base for me to work on? (Like a well-shaped map already, or should I use the official risk board for a base?)

3:
This is a rule I've been throwing around my head, does it sound fair? Basically, in certain areas where you normally just travel from seas intercontinentally, you have an 'uncolonizable territory' where an army can sit, leave without having to leave 1 piece behind, but doesn't count towards unit generation. It would slow intercontinental invaders.
edit: I have some alternative additions to it. Please comment on whether they make this more or less fair: 1: you can't place units on it when generating new units, they have to go from one side and move to the other. 2: If you own all connections to such territory, you no longer have to move through it, just from one side to the other.

4: If I decide to print instead of draw the board physically, what weight of paper should I use? It will have to be strong enough to hold together after the board is closed and opened quite a few times, while still being able to close. If you suggest something something to go over the seam, say it. (I do have clear packaging tape, but if possible I don't want a shine on the center of the board.

5: If there's anything you think I should know about making a risk board before doing so, say it please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deliphin wrote:

1: I want it to be a folding board, what material should the hard part be?

I've been using the covers of lever arch files, nice thick cardboard.

Deliphin wrote:
4: If I decide to print instead of draw the board physically, what weight of paper should I use?

I use 200 gsm paper, that seems fine providing you tape the seam

Deliphin wrote:
If you suggest something something to go over the seam, say it. (I do have clear packaging tape, but if possible I don't want a shine on the center of the board.

I would definitely not use packing tape, it goes brittle with age. I use a wide cloth tape, which works a charm. You will have to print the board though (this will be the best looking result in any case)

Deliphin wrote:
5: If there's anything you think I should know about making a risk board before doing so, say it please.

This thread has all kinds of helpful links All the DIY Links You Never Knew You Needed

The only thing I would do differently is make sure there is a 1 mm gap between the folding parts. My board doesn't quite sit flat because I taped them when they were flush. Making a little shim from offcuts before taping should be easy enough.

Here's one board I've done.

BTW I used the vector graphics program Inkscape rather than the raster based Gimp. Much easier to adjust the image elements that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.