Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible, but not nearly as fun as 2 player. It's a card game so if you feel like you can concievably play like you didn't know what was in the other person's hand then you can play it solo. PBeM isn't too hard though, so that's always an option if you don't want to play solo as well.

One of the problems I'm actually having playing this solo is that it ends up being only one sets of eyes on all the rules and whatnot--it'd be a lot easier to have someone else keeping track of what terrain their units were in, etc and then I wouldn't forget some of the situations. But I'm new to the game so that may go away in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ther's also a VASSAL module.

You can play live over the internet or PBeM this way.

Although I find PBeM of these CDG to be better with ACTS and just keeping a local copy of the board setup. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I'm in three PBEN games on VASSAL right now.

As for solitare, I can't do it. I can't seperate what "I" know and what the "opponent" knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible. I've done it many times. It depends on your personality I guess. I just try to play each side as best I can. There are a few cards (High Seas Fleet for example) that are dependent on if the other side has it or not. In those cases I just ask myself would I risk it if I didn't know that the opponent had/didn't have it? If not I don't play it.

I'm sure it's a better game for two, but solitaire is very entertaining with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think it's any harder to solo than any other wargame.

I've solo'ed several times, however that doesn't stop me having my head served to me on a plate against good players : (
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Martin
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
POG can be played solo ...

I usually play with both hands face down. I draw a card at random, and try to use that card to the best of my ability. If I draw a card that can be used as a battle card (that is, the event only helps in battle), then I roll a die: even, "hold" the card and use it in the next battle; odd, and use it as something else.

This system works pretty well, and I've had most of my games come out very close at the end.

Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorne
United States
Valley Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, this system works pretty well. Just be aware that a solo game of PoG isn't going to feel like a fact-to-face game will, just because the random card draws can lead to some sub-optimal play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brien Martin wrote:
POG can be played solo ...

I usually play with both hands face down. I draw a card at random, and try to use that card to the best of my ability. If I draw a card that can be used as a battle card (that is, the event only helps in battle), then I roll a die: even, "hold" the card and use it in the next battle; odd, and use it as something else.

This system works pretty well, and I've had most of my games come out very close at the end.

Brien

I've done that with card driven games. Works OK.

Both sides are somewhat equally "crippled" and it lets you do some exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.