Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Infiltrate/"Here" Definition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dunham
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I had a question about Infiltrate or, more specifically, about the general definition of the term "here" in the game.

Infiltrate says "Play on a base. Destroy an action that has been played here..." I read the card as saying I can destroy any action that is anywhere on or inside the base i.e. I could destroy an action on the base or an action on a minion at the base. My sister disagrees and thinks I can only destroy an action thats been played on the base itself.

What does "here" mean in the context of the card/game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infiltrate is an ambiguous card with regards to ignoring the base's ability, as others have noted before, but the definition of "here" is unequivocal. "Here" refers only to actions with the wording "Play on a base" that are currently played on the base. It does not refer to "play on a minion" actions or instant/transient actions that affect bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunham
United States
California
flag msg tools
Parsat wrote:
Infiltrate is an ambiguous card with regards to ignoring the base's ability, as others have noted before, but the definition of "here" is unequivocal. "Here" refers only to actions with the wording "Play on a base" that are currently played on the base. It does not refer to "play on a minion" actions or instant/transient actions that affect bases.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm unsure where you're getting that the definition of here is "unequivocal" I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules. Did I miss something?

I'm basing my reading on how "here" is used by other cards in the game like Clyde 2.0.: "Ongoing: If your actions played on minions here go to the discard pile, you may place them into your hand instead."

Based on how I've seen Clyde work (you can return actions played on any minion at the same base as Clyde, not just Clyde) it seems that "here" means anywhere at the base not just "actions with the wording 'Play on a base'" or just on Clyde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyFlamingo wrote:
So I had a question about Infiltrate or, more specifically, about the general definition of the term "here" in the game.

Infiltrate says "Play on a base. Destroy an action that has been played here..." I read the card as saying I can destroy any action that is anywhere on or inside the base i.e. I could destroy an action on the base or an action on a minion at the base. My sister disagrees and thinks I can only destroy an action thats been played on the base itself.

What does "here" mean in the context of the card/game?

Thanks!

While Infiltrate as a card is not fully understood, this question is..."here" refers to the base itself, not the minions on it.

SO your targets are Play-on-base actions, not Play-on-minion actions on minions at that base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyFlamingo wrote:
Parsat wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I'm unsure where you're getting that the definition of here is "unequivocal" I couldn't find it anywhere in the rules. Did I miss something?

I'm basing my reading on how "here" is used by other cards in the game like Clyde 2.0.: "Ongoing: If your actions played on minions here go to the discard pile, you may place them into your hand instead."

Based on how I've seen Clyde work (you can return actions played on any minion at the same base as Clyde, not just Clyde) it seems that "here" means anywhere at the base not just "actions with the wording 'Play on a base'" or just on Clyde.

In both cases they mean the same, with "here" being the base you're targeting / on

Clyde 2.0 lets action on minion at the base Clyde is on (aka "here") to be placed back into your hand etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"here" is actually clearly defined in the rulebook for Pretty Pretty.
The expansion isn't released yet, but the rulebook is online.

http://www.alderac.com/smashup/files/2014/11/SU7_Rulebook.pd...

Pretty Pretty page 12 wrote:
"Here" means the base the card is at;
"there" means the base just referred to
on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunham
United States
California
flag msg tools
[/q]In both cases they mean the same, with "here" being the base you're targeting / on

Clyde 2.0 lets action on minion at the base Clyde is on (aka "here") to be placed back into your hand etc. [/q]

Okay thats making sense, but I have one more follow up if you guys aren't too annoyed with me yet

In the case of Ornate Dome:"Play on a base. Destroy all other players' actions played here. Ongoing: Other players cannot play actions on this base." the card text seems to make a distinction between the term "here" and "on this base" based on their separate uses. If, as you guys are saying, "here" just means actions played on the base why use the separate terms? Why not just say "Ongoing: Other players cannot play actions here."

I don't know, maybe I'm being way to nit-picky haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyFlamingo wrote:

Yup.

The base game was made a long time ago, so the earlier cards do have some slight inconsistencies in terms of formalized language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunham
United States
California
flag msg tools
jozxyqk wrote:

on the card.

Ok I think I get it now. So "here" refers to the base itself and the base can have either minions or actions on it which can be affected by "here" cards. But actions played on minions on the base aren't technically on the base so they aren't affected by "here" cards unless otherwise specified on the card (i.e. Clyde 2.0)

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sorry it took me so long to come around ;D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyFlamingo wrote:

Okay thats making sense, but I have one more follow up if you guys aren't too annoyed with me yet

In the case of Ornate Dome:"Play on a base. Destroy all other players' actions played here. Ongoing: Other players cannot play actions on this base." the card text seems to make a distinction between the term "here" and "on this base" based on their separate uses. If, as you guys are saying, "here" just means actions played on the base why use the separate terms? Why not just say "Ongoing: Other players cannot play actions here."

A bit nit-picky but no worries!

It doesn't make a distinction, it just uses both...there's a difference there . They both refer to the same thing, and can be (and are) used interchangeably. It may not be the optimal way to word things, but so long as we know what they mean (now at least! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyFlamingo wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

on the card.

Ok I'm latching onto what Josh is saying here cus it seems like the new rules are agreeing with my interpretation that "here" means anywhere at the base not just "on the base"

So Infiltrate could destroy an action on a minion at the base and Ornate Dome destroys all other players' actions at the base, not just the ones on the base.

Somebody wanna put me in my place?

Erm...sorry, but we're going to have to...

From above: '"Here" means the base the card is at'; that doesn't mean anything / anywhere on the base, it means the base, so Infiltrate would still be limited to Play-on-Base actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunham
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yep sorry realized that. Edited my post accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyFlamingo wrote:
Yep sorry realized that. Edited my post accordingly.

shake...lol, not to worry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.