Subject: Uk version of The great museum caper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rich steed
United Kingdom
Stoke-On-Trent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just been removing the cat from under the bed when I came across a game called "The great museum caper". thought I'd check it out here and it's definitely the same game but has lost the Clue name in the trip across the pond.

The box looks the same as the french version (with english text of course) Can't imagine there are any other changes.

Will put some photos up at some point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fine game (if it is the Clue version).

It's funny. I try to introduce it to my gaming buddies who always think that it is a Clue variant, so they won't play it. I see it as closer to Scotland Yard than the original Clue. Can you think of any other games with similar mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the three developers who brought this game to Parker Brothers.

The game was licensed to be sold in Europe but without Clue.

They wanted it to be more inexpensive than the American version so the board was redesigned with less plastic.
But using the same Camera pieces, it turned out that the Cameras did not fit anymore in the some of the now narrower hallways.
Thus the "turn the Cameras" to "see" diagonally rule was born.
They also added the rule that a Camera cannot see past a Character.

Inventers of games are very rarely asked their opinion to rule changes once you licensed a game to a company. At least in my experience.
So, you get these strange rule variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
the Cameras did not fit anymore

shake

Momoshiro wrote:
They also added the rule that a Camera cannot see past a Character.

Any reason why they added this? I guess it can make some sense thematically.

I played this again last night with my 2 brothers (2 characters per non-thief player) and found that the thief could just more so fast. Is there meant to be a character limit (despite the box containing 6)?

Also, rolling the 'eye' using a characters eyes to look while you're in a room just seems very odd. Are you really restricted to looking just orthogonally (not even diagonally like placed cameras can)? In the middle room, the thief can wander around (right near you) and you cannot see him because he's not lined up with you (intentionally).

I kept explaining that it was a dark museum with lots of cabinets and stands to hide behind (though not shown on the board itself).

Anyway, I'd love to here some more details about the conception of this game (please start another thread if you have time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.