Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Beaveridge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a long while since I have tried to paint any miniatures, but I am feeling a little longing to try again with my Shadows of Brimstone minis. I have a few maybe/maybe not dry pots of Games Workshop paint, and some brushes but otherwise will be needing to buy all my supplies over again.

These paint sets seem to be an interesting place to start, except after shipping I am looking at around $100 for what seems to be 20 paints, a few brushes and some guides.

A quick search on Amazon shows someone offering a Army Painter Mega Paint set for about $115, which gives me 42 paints, a few brushes and a bottle of varnish.

I haven't been down to my local game store to look at what they have to offer yet, but I know they at least carry both the Games Workshop and Army Painter pots of paint.

When I last painted minis, it was Games Workshop models before the last major paint update. I liked following paint guides because it took the "stress" of trying to figure out how to choose my own colours and such. So, the SOB paint sets are tempting - preselected colours and instructions to lay them on. They just seem a little expensive compared to what I can try and order from elsewhere. Not really interested in buying Games Workshop paints anymore, not after the last time I was going to get back into painting and found my paint list for the last battle box growing and growing.

Anyway, my question (I had one or two, honest) is first, has anyone used the paint sets and been satisfied? And if not, what do they suggest is a good plan for collecting up paints? Is there anyone else offering up step by step paint guides for these specific models?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same mental debate and ended up getting The Army Painter Mega Paint Set ii. I got it from thewarstore.com (I buy from Amazon, but greatly prefer to shop at our hobby related sites even if shipping is slightly slower) who had it for $99 before their current 5% off promotion. I think it will work out pretty good for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter backers could get the two SoB sets for $50 total so seemed like a good deal. I had no idea they were going to mark them up so much afterwards. Sounds like they doubled in price so certainly not nearly as good a deal and I bet you'd be better off with the mega paint set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got both paint sets through the Kickstarter for $25 each. I couldn't see paying too much more than that for them. There are 9 paints in each kit and 1 wash. A medium brush in one kit and a small one in the other. The guide is just a single sheet with a high level overview, not a detailed guide on how to paint each figure.

It's nice to have the paints or colors that match the artwork but if you can get a kit with a lot more paints for around the cost to get those two kits I'd go with the kit with the most paints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the AP mega set II as well, 5 metals, 7 washes, the rest paints. I think they match the AP colors from the SoB paint sets except with slightly different names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd be better off getting an Army Painter set, or ordering the specific colors you want.

For 100 bucks you can get about 36 Vallejo paints from discountgamesinc.com (Vallejo are my favorite paints, though their metals are a bit weak compared to GWs, and that's the only site I know that sells them, it's run by a Warmachine tournament player, and he is really good about getting stuff shipped quickly, plus free shipping at 50 bucks). That's a LOT of paints.

You can make your own colors by mixing paints too, so you'd probably need fewer total paints.

Then again, the paint sets are 35 bucks each from FFP.

*edit* I see you're in Canada, Discountgames doesn't do free shipping there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig mount
msg tools
mb
I agree with buying Vallejo. It's top notch paint. You can also find it at Hobby Lobby for a few bucks a bottle. I order a ton of different colors from minitures market online and they run periodic sales. Lastly, give the painting a shot, it's really not too bad and if you approach it like a hobby instead of a stressful goal you may end up enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig mount
msg tools
mb

It was actually a lot of fun- and I've never painted minis before, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
About Halfway through painting these. (i.e. the Airbrush work is mostly done.)

Paints are Vallejo Model Air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
georgetds wrote:
"So, the SOB paint sets are tempting - preselected colours and instructions to lay them on.

I got the sets through the kickstarter. I'm very happy with the quality of the paints when compared to past paints I've used. BUT I was let down by the "guides" that came with the sets. I thought I was going to get step-by-steps and paint suggestions for every model in the game. The guides are actually a single half-size sheet with some very basic painting tips and a color/painting guide for one figure from each set. One guide is for the tentacle. The other is for the saloon girl.

The paints and inks are great! The pigments are rich and have very good coverage. The metallics were especially impressive (a lot of cheap metallic paints tend to be grainy). But I wouldn't pay more than $50 for both sets combined. Get the Army Painter Mega set. You won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Beaveridge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank-you all who have taken the time to reply! I think I will be giving the paint sets a pass, since the one thing I really was hoping for was step-by-step instructions.

From what I have read about Army Painter Warpaints, and from the fact I am about 95% sure my local store carries them, I think I will look to buy the mega paint set and work with those. I have never been great at assembling my miniatures, and while I think am passably fair at painting, I am lazy. The Quickshade system sounds really appealing to get presentable models with the least amount of effort and time. Considering I only ever managed to paint about 10 Orks in my 1000+ point 40k army this seems my best chance at actually managing to paint everything.

Thanks again everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.