Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekmod [+] photos [+] [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was geekmodding pictures and a lot of them today had the URL "www.spielbar.com" on them. I've been voting to decline them, but after 15 or so I started to doubt myself. I see nothing on the guidelines about it, but my gut tells me they shouldn't be accepted.

Please advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well being that they we submitted by Jürgen Karla, owner of Spielbar, I'm guessing no problem. But truthfully, leave the copyright questions for the Administrators. You should mod on quality of content alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not sure about this either, but the website seems to belong to the BGG user who submitted the images. He has a link to it in his profile here and the postings on this website are written by him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main concern is not copyright, but the addition of pictures to the library that include a URL to another site. Isn't that some form of spam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the SPAM box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
MWChapel wrote:
Well being that they we submitted by Jürgen Karla, owner of Spielbar, I'm guessing no problem. But truthfully, leave the copyright questions for the Administrators. You should mod on quality of content alone.

I would argue the opposite. Unless the admins say otherwise, defacing an otherwise appropriate image by advertising your website constitutes spam. There's a SPAM check box on the mod form. Spam is Spam.

Don't confuse adverstising spam with a "copyright notice".

If spielbar.com wants to advertise, perhaps they should help support the site by purchasing advertising banners like the other advertisers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I'd rather not have the URLS on the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that takes care of that. Thanks a lot for the quick reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hopefully ennugh geekmodders will read this thread that the pics will get rejected and those of us following Aldie's guidance don't get hammered for being out of synch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Karla
Germany
Herzogenrath
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I´m very sorry, if had had taken the picture upload-guidelines wrong. blush The photos I recently uploaded were formerly placed on my website (spielbar.com) when it was one of the established german websites on boardgames. You still find many references to it, although the site now is only a Weblog, most of the content was transferred to other webmasters sites (esp. attila-products.de). Since I shut the site down in december 2005, I still had those photos in my library and I thought it was a good idea not to delete them, but to upload them here for the community.

Unfortunately every photo has a watermark stating spielbar.com - which made sense then - and which I will not be able to delete. Please let me know, how to continue. I still have another 700 photos waiting for upload...

Best regards and greetings from Germany,
Jürgen Karla

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
700 images with URLs from another website? I can't see that going over well... It creates the impression that BGG just collects material from other websites, rather than having original content.
I concur with the suggestion that images shouldn't have URLs in them - URLs can always be listed in the image comment if absolutely necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Karla
Germany
Herzogenrath
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

thanks for the statement. I´ll bann the photos on a CD and keep it here in my office. If at any time, someone is interested to have them for whatever he/she wants, simply contact me. As long as I don´t hear something contrary, I won´t proceed uploading them here for the community.

Best regards
Juergen Karla

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.