United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a conversation I heard at work this morning:

PERSON ONE: Hi, how are you this morning?
PERSON TWO: Hey, thanks.
PERSON ONE: Good.
PERSON TWO: See ya.

What? I speak English pretty well... it's my native tongue and all... but... what? These people were having two entirely different conversations. I wish I could get inside their heads and hear what they heard, because it clearly wasn't what was spoken by the other person.

From PERSON ONE's perspective:

PERSON ONE: Hi, how are you this morning?
PERSON TWO: Great, and you?
PERSON ONE: Good.

From PERSON TWO's perspective:

PERSON ONE: Hi, I'm showing that I care about you by saying hi.
PERSON TWO: Hey, thanks.
PERSON ONE: Well, I gotta go. See ya.

Yeah, I know it's all just sweet nothings and it doesn't really matter what was said, everybody in the conversation understood what the other meant and got warm fuzzies and all.... but come on. At least try to pay attention to what was said and respond accordingly. Just a pet peeve of mine.

What kind of person am I? I get irritated at two people being pleasant to each other? That's really sad. [sigh]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because they were so focused on pointing at your back and making funny gestures that they forgot to pay attention to what they were saying to cover it up! devil

Heh! Just keep telling yourself, "the weekend is here. the weekend is here."

ps. Haven't you ever been in the "passing in the halls" mode and doing the "hiya howya" thing and realize right after your mouth automatically fired that it responded to the wrong choice of the two standards because you subconsconciously pre-meditated a response? I usually end up wandering along after thinking what a goob I am..

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the more reason to stick with the simple nod, smile or indistinct grunt/murmer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to shake it up sometimes with the double finger guns and a "Heyyyyyy!" If I don't actually like you, I'll wink as well, then shoot you in the back of the head after we pass. With my finger guns, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
When someone gives me the "Hey, how ya doin'?" as a greeting, I actually tell them how I'm doing. They usually regret asking. cool

Works every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I like to shake it up sometimes with the double finger guns and a "Heyyyyyy!" If I don't actually like you, I'll wink as well, then shoot you in the back of the head after we pass. With my finger guns, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.