Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Cobeña
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My friend's birthday is coming up and I've decided to buy him a boardgame that will, hopefully, start him on the hobby. I've picked Smallworld because I want a game with a good amount of confrontational interaction, that is easy to learn and that has a recognizable theme. Multi-player solitaire and co-ops are off the table. Am I choosing right or are there any other games I should consider?

Happy new year and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've chosen well. I'm not a huge fan of Smallworld, but it stays in my collection because it is a huge hit with people new to gaming, and it's a game that gets requested by my wife and friends. It gets bonus points for working well with 2-5 players and offering confrontation in a lighthearted way.

Three games that I prefer that can be good introductory games with conflict are Nexus Ops, Samurai, and Through the Desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy new year!

Smallworld is an excellent choice and not only for a beginner! Another game you can consider is King of Tokyo that has the advantage that it plays very quick so you can play multiple games in a row.

If you like to introduce someone to euro games I would suggest two of the classics, Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice gift and fair start in modern gaming.

The only major consideration is whether direct conflict is suitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kitten caesar
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this seems like a good starting point. It is one of the first games I bought, not so very long ago, and made me interested enough to keep exploring new ones.

My husband likes it too, and it has also been well received when we play with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smallworld is a pretty good choice. Kemet is great for a confrontational game. Lords of Waterdeep is my favorite introductory game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave Small World to my wife as a Christmas gift 5 years ago - it was our first game and the one that started the hobby. I chose it mainly because it features elves which she likes a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.