Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

A small group of us (well, 3 confirmed so far including me and my wife) are starting a monthly board game meetup in a local cafe of ours. I'll probably be taking Catan, Carcassonne, Citadels and Ticket to Ride: some easy games while I gauge the crowd.
Here's what was posted on facebook

Bit of advance notice. Tuesday 13 January 7.30 -9 pm, new monthly board games night at The Hideaway on Church Road, Urmston. Bring along your board games and have a laugh. I've got CSI and Ludo..... Sounds like fun and you can have a coffee and a cake, wine and a pie whilst you're there! Who's up for it???

And here's the link to the original post
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1525709037705941&set...

And a map reference in case you need it:
https://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=810...

Let me know if you are interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your new group. If you do get started post the details on the UK FAQ please, and update it if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
United Kingdom
Urmston
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see who that attracts and what sort of games get played, given that the original suggestions were "Ludo" and "CSI" (!).

I live close by, but I attend the Variable Magers group in Stockport on a Tuesday night. Only 15 minutes drive from Urmston if you're interested, if this new group doesn't work out for you.

Please keep us posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In will keep you posted. As for what games I expect to see there, well I fully intend to convert people to the right kind of games, euros etc. Thanks for the invite. Tuesdays are generally only good for me if I don't have to travel far (this new group, if it emerges, would be a 5 min walk for me). Even a 15 min drive can be a bind on Tuesdays...family and all that.
On another note, do you live anywhere near Urmston, Dean? Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Thorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello. I'm interested... might not definitely be able to make it due to personal circumstances, but hopefully I'll see you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. Hopefully see you there. The patrons will expect you to buy at least a drink, bear in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First meet up tonight. Very successful I think, and we began to convert people to the right kind of games. The owners said we could use it every week if we want but for now we're sticking with every second Tuesday of the month. A definite monthly fixture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bywater
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Hiya Matthew

I live nearby and am interested - is the next meet going ahead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
H Rob. Absolutely mate. It's still in its infancy but the more people we get the more games we can run. Pm me if you need some more details. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gillian potter
msg tools
deanrthomas wrote:
It will be interesting to see who that attracts and what sort of games get played, given that the original suggestions were "Ludo" and "CSI" (!).

The group I set up is going well Dean, you should pop down! Get the people in with promise of something they know then persuade them to play something better! Besides if some people turn up and want play Cluedo why not? It's all about fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
United Kingdom
Urmston
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear all is going well.
The more people we can bring into the hobby the better.

How many people have attended your first two sessions?
And are you updating the original Facebook page? It would be nice to keep track of your progress and be up-to-date with planned dates.

I might attend if I'm ever free on a meetup.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear we're moving to fornightly meetings from 10th March onwards. We gave about seven each time. The ladies who run the cafe say they have had plenty of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannah Rowson
msg tools
Hi, are there still meet ups going on?? My boyfriend and I would love to meet up with people and play Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Settlers and Castles of Burgundy. We're in the Didsbury area.

Look forward to hearing from you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
United Kingdom
Cheadle
flag msg tools
Too many games...
badge
not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
How is your group coming along?

I was wondering if Tuesday nights were going to be tough for you as this is also the day when The University of Manchester Board Gaming Society and Variable Magers meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've not really met properly for a couple of months but we're looking to kick it off again properly. We only meet the second Tuesday at each month so it doesn't clash all the time. It works well for us because of the location and our family life. It's a small friendly group and the venue is just fantastic for food and drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.