Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

after some games and after reading proposal here and there, i propose here some variants. Each variant can be combined with others or can be played alone. The purpose behind each one is given with the variant itself :

1/ Hidden Spell Books (it's a Sandy Petersen's variant in fact) :
When you gain a spell book, the selected spell book IS NOT SHOWN to any other player until the spell book effect is used for the first time in the game

basically the idea is to introduce more uncertainty with more hidden information in the game.

2/ No "free" Doom Points (longer game variant) :

You only get doom Points by making rituals (and also classically with Elder Signs). You no longer gain any DP automically at each Doom Phase. To counterblance the fact it will bring the ritual marker go faster to its upper limit, two rituals have to be done to make the ritual marker advance one step on the ritual track.
When the very first ritual is done in the game, the ritual marker is rotated 90° to the right.
When you make a ritual, if the ritual marker is still rotated 90°, just counter-rotate it 90 ° and advance it to its next step, if it is not, just rotate it 90 °.

The game mechanic of arbitraging between DP and Power Points becomes critical with this rule variant. The game is also longer. The elder signs will play also a more important role as players will tend to get more of them.

3/ Cthulhu TOTAL wars : For true blood shedder players like me, a new action is possible :
2PP (Unlimited Action) Assault Battle : initiate a battle in a region where you have units getting at least together one combat dice.

4/ Hex Maps of Paddirn :
paddirn makes a Wonderful variant with a geomorphic map. Just read this :
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103302/cthulhu-wars-hex-m...

Just a masterpiece variant

5/ Loss of Spell Books variants :

When one of your Great Old One is Killed ( not pained) and you have all your six spellbooks, you immediately lose a random spell book. The lost spell book is determined by rolling a D6 on the table corresponding to your faction below. The table gives the condition - not the spell book - with which the lost spell book has been gained. The spell book gained with the condition determined by the dice rolled is then lost and has to be recovered as if it hasn't been gained before. The spellbook is considered at the end of the action provoking the death of the Great Old One.

Cthulhu :
1-2 :kill or devour a ennemy unit
3-4 : kill or devour two ennemy unit in a single battle
5-6 : Awaken the Great Cthulhu in the Pacific Ocean even without a gate

The Black Goat :
1 : Have units in 6 regions
2 : As your action for the turn, eliminate 2 cultists
3 : Share regions with all other players units (at least one unit of each)
4 : Awaken Shubb-Niggurath (with a controlled gate and Shub-Niggurath and sacrifice of two cultists)
5-6 : Reroll in this table

The Crawling Chaos
1 : As your action for the turn, spend 4 PPs
2 : As your action for the turn, spend 6 PPs
3 : Control 3 gates ( or you have 12 PPs)
4 : Control 4 gates ( or you have 15 PPs)
5 : Capture an ennemy cultist
6 : Awaken Nyarlathotep (with a conrolled gate)

The yellow Sign
1-2 : As your action for the turn, Choose a player who gains 3 Doom points
3-4 : Awaken the King in Yellow (with a cultist without a controlled gate)
5-6 : Awaken Hastur (with the King in yellow AND a controlled gate)

Opener of the ways

1 : You have units in 3 regions with a gate controlled by other players
2 : Lose one of your unit in a Battle
3 : Your Great Old One is in a region with another ennemy Great Old One
4 : Awaken Yog Sothoth (Sacrifice of a Spawn of Yog-Sothoth is required)
5-6 Reroll on this table

WindWalker
1-2 : Awaken Rhan-tegoth (in a region with the Walker Glyph)
3-4 : You are the first player of the turn
5-6 : Awaken Ithaqua (in a region with the Walker Glyph and a gate, the gate is destroyed when Ithaqua is awakened)

Sleeper
1-3 : Roll at least 6 dices in a battle
4-6 : Awaken Tsathoggua (with a region containing a Formless Spawn)

For example : Cthulhu has his 6 spell books, Nyarla comes to kill him and succeeds in. Crawing Chaos' player roll a dice to know what is the destroyed spell book : 3. The spellbook cthulhu gained sooner in the game by fullfilling the condition "kill or devour two ennemy unit in a single battle" is lost. the Good new is that the "Octopus" can not win the game until he recovers his lost spell book, the bad new is that he will have to kill ennemy units to do that...

The main idea is to introduce a little way to prevent a player from winning even if he gets a tremendous amount of DP (you cannot win if you don't have six spellbooks) and also makes the game more opened and so fun i hope until the very end of the game. This also reintroduce more thematic objective and fun to the end of the game (Crawling chaos : "I have to capture an ennemy cultist to rule this little damned planet but all others Great Old Ones will try to prevent this...")
And for some faction, the loss of a spell book can be tougher than for others... The tables given above have been created to balance this new rule among factions. Also some objectives cannot be fulfilled two times (For example, Europe can only destroyed one time by Yellow Sign) so these ones were excluded from the faction table.

I hope you like any or all the variants rule above.

my favorite cocktail : Paddirn's hex map variant, with Sandy's hidden Spell book, Loss of Spell Books and of course TOTAL wars !! devil

i wait for your comments,

happy new year 2015,

Cthulhu Ftaghn !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the hidden spell books the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the less doom points variant. I feel it can make for a longer game. Some games those who get a slower start never can build enough momentum and poof, the game is over. I think this will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not understanding the point of number 3. What does it accomplish that normal combat doesn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes it so you have unlimited combat from the start of the game, but in a more expensive form (presumably, gaining 6 spellbooks would still unlock Cost-1 Unlimited Combat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
It makes it so you have unlimited combat from the start of the game, but in a more expensive form (presumably, gaining 6 spellbooks would still unlock Cost-1 Unlimited Combat).

Exactly, it allows a more offensive play but costly play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nunez
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Option #5 seems very interesting.. it introduces an element of randomness that really keeps players on their toes.. like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mikenunez wrote:
Option #5 seems very interesting.. it introduces an element of randomness that really keeps players on their toes.. like it

yes, in the standard game, the only way to stop a player is to get more Doom Points than him before it gets 30 DPs. You don't really stop him, you slow him in a game that is a run for DPs.
With this option, you can stop a faction without getting necessarily more DPs than him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After some trial and error, i update the variant " Loss of Spell Books variants" and now it is working well. It makes the end of the game very tense !! (see the newer version of this variant at the first article of this thread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.