Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is my first ever review)

Last night after we put the kids down the wife and I gave Arkwright a go. Initially we attempted to dive into the full Waterframe version and after 1.5 hours attempting to read the rules and setup we quit as our heads were spinning. Then an hour later we re-marshaled our mental reserves and attempted to play Spinning jenny and in this we were victorious!

Spinning Jenny is a tight, fun and not overly long two player experience. A lot of people have been asking about player interaction and we found that there was a decent amount. Probably the most significant aspect of this is the setting of prices. There were a number of times where by skillful manipulation of price and quality one player was able to sell all of their goods and at the same time block the other from doing the same. I eeked out a win in the end by buying one final stock from the bank in the 'End Game' action and only because we were able to sell our stored goods at that time.

We found the rules were well written and illustrated with one exception. I cannot for the life of me understand why a game with so many pieces does not have a page near the beginning of the rule book that shows a picture of everything and then labels everything so that you know what the book is talking about from then on out. In there attempt to be language independent many of the pieces were hard for us to initially identify (especially when we tried to play Waterframe).

Our final thoughts are that we are looking very much forward to playing again this afternood at our kids nap time and have already invited a neighbor friend of ours to join in. This promises to be a very fun and special game in our collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a long nap your kids are going to take! Thanks for your thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They generally take a two hour afternoon nap. This time we played 'Spinning Mule' and the game just keeps getting better! Looking forward to playing the full Waterframe version soon (possibly tonight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JKidder wrote:
I cannot for the life of me understand why a game with so many pieces does not have a page near the beginning of the rule book that shows a picture of everything and then labels everything so that you know what the book is talking about from then on out.

I agree - the rule book is so poorly organized, one has to hunt around in it (or the player's book) in order to find things. Frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.