Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are going to be spending a few weeks out in Portland in February as a long vacation, are there good games stores in the area? We'll have a car, but if it's available by public transport that would be easiest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best source of information on gaming in Portland is this BGG Guild page:

Portland, OR, USA

There are several good stores. Timevault and Guardian are both accessible by streetcar, and probably just about everything here is accessible by bus.

There are also almost-nightly meetups with dozens of attendees each, as well as a couple libraries with good collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
The biggest store is Guardian. Easily accessible.

The nicest store is Cloud Cap. Wonderful people! In a nice area if you want to do other shopping around. (Sock Dreams! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Your best source of information on gaming in Portland is this BGG Guild page:

Portland, OR, USA

+1!

Guardian is a great store - huge, friendly, lots of tables.

As for open gaming, there is a lot available. The two meetups I'm most familiar with are at the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne every Thursday starting at around 5:30/6, going until 11pm and My Father's Place on Wednesdays. Each one has its own flavor. Both are great. I suggest going to both to see for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian has Euro game days every other Sunday and Cloud Cap has a good Wednesday night as well as a last Saturday. Outside of that there are games all the time on the various Portland game meetups. The guild Kevin listed will give you all the info you need. Portland is a gamer mecca, you'll love your stay here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guardian is great! I went there when I was visiting and found some random people to play with. Lots of space and lots of games. I took the bus to get there and it was pretty easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I won't be lacking in game stores to visit then! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to ask the same question since I'm there for the comic convention.

Thanks for the resources!

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Came here to ask the same question since I'm there for the comic convention.

Thanks for the resources!

-Dave

If you're at the Convention center, Guardian Games is just down the street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Brooking
United States
Carnation
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Cult of the used.
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
...are both accessible by streetcar, and probably just about everything here is accessible by bus...

(transit jealousy googoo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're at Powell's Books while you're there, they have a decent selection. They also had a bunch of games on discount for 30% off this pas weekend, when I was in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keithsink wrote:
If you're at Powell's Books while you're there, they have a decent selection. They also had a bunch of games on discount for 30% off this pas weekend, when I was in town.

And Powell's Books on Burnside is definitely worth a visit, too. Whole city block, and four stories, of books. It's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there other game stores near (mile or so, I'm on foot) the convention center? I'm trying to track down a copy of Patchwork (my FLGS is having a hard time getting it in stock) but Guardian Games doesn't seem to have it either.

EDIT - Time Vault is almost two miles away, Cloud Cap is substantially further.

Thanks,

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton Kallis-Whitney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
You thought this would be witty, didn't you?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a ton of game stores in Portland, almost all are available by MAX, Streetcar, or bus. My personal favorites are Red Castle Games, Guardian Games, and (if you are in the Milwaukie/Oregon City area) Epic Games (although they have a slightly smaller board game selection, the staff is pretty awesome.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Long
United States
St. Helens
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I need to pack an extra bag just to be able to haul back everything I'll buy from Powell's books and the various game stores.

Are any of the stores particularly well-stocked in hex-and-counter war games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SquadronROE wrote:
I feel like I need to pack an extra bag just to be able to haul back everything I'll buy from Powell's books and the various game stores.

Guardian games has one 6-8' long section of wargames and sometimes they have wargames on their used games shelf. That's about the best I've found locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SquadronROE wrote:

My subconscious memory is that Guardian has about 3 shelf units (each roughly 3'x7') that I generally ignore because they contain wargame-ish stuff.

I know Timevault doesn't have much in that department, and suspect that CloudCap and RainyDay only have small wargame offerings (but could be wrong).

Hopefully others can fill in with more accurate/complete details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
SquadronROE wrote:

Guardian games has one 6-8' long section of wargames and sometimes they have wargames on their used games shelf. That's about the best I've found locally.

Agreed. And, as of Sunday a week ago, the used shelf was chock full of tasty hex and counter wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardian is the best choice for wargames at the moment, yeah. We used to have another store in town that had an even better selection, in Bridgetowne Hobbies, but they closed a few months back.

Guardian does a good job, though. Well-stocked with DVG and GMT titles, some Avalanche Press, some Clash of Arms, handful of others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.