John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation 1: Assume the following:
A land battle is in progress. Carthage has a Cavalry Unit and an Infantry Unit that is currently Engaged with a Roman Infantry Unit. Rome has another Un-Engaged Infantry Unit. Rome currently has a Battle Chit that can Engage enemy units, ie Wedge or Flank Attack.

1. Since Cavalry Units can't be Engaged, does the Carthage Cavalry Unit prevent the Roman player from playing his Wedge or Flank Attack Chit for Effect?

2. The Roman player would play the Chit for No Effect and the currently Engaged Units would roll to resolve their current Chit, correct?

I'm still a little unclear about Multiple-Engagements of a Unit
Situation 2: Assume the following in a battle in progress:
Previously Carthage had a single Gaul Infantry Unit Engage a single Roman Infantry Unit with a Gallic Fury Battle Chit. Carthage has no other Units in the battle.
Rome has an Un-Engaged Infantry Unit and a Wedge Battle Chit.

1. Can Rome play the Wedge Battle Chit to Engage the already Engaged Carthage Gaul Infantry Unit?

2. If so, in what order are the chits resolved, and what die-roll modifiers are applied to each unit, if any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwboone wrote:
A land battle is in progress. Carthage has a Cavalry Unit and an Infantry Unit that is currently Engaged with a Roman Infantry Unit. Rome has another Un-Engaged Infantry Unit. Rome currently has a Battle Chit that can Engage enemy units, ie Wedge or Flank Attack.

1. Since Cavalry Units can't be Engaged, does the Carthage Cavalry Unit prevent the Roman player from playing his Wedge or Flank Attack Chit for Effect?

2. The Roman player would play the Chit for No Effect and the currently Engaged Units would roll to resolve their current Chit, correct?

2 is the correct choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwboone wrote:
I'm still a little unclear about Multiple-Engagements of a Unit
Situation 2: Assume the following in a battle in progress:
Previously Carthage had a single Gaul Infantry Unit Engage a single Roman Infantry Unit with a Gallic Fury Battle Chit. Carthage has no other Units in the battle.
Rome has an Un-Engaged Infantry Unit and a Wedge Battle Chit.

1. Can Rome play the Wedge Battle Chit to Engage the already Engaged Carthage Gaul Infantry Unit?

2. If so, in what order are the chits resolved, and what die-roll modifiers are applied to each unit, if any?

First you have to roll for the just played Wedge BC. The Gaul infantry rolls with a malus of +3 to the die roll. Then you roll for the Gallic Fury BC, providing the Gauls are in the battle yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Herrera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get situation 1.

Why play the chit to no effect, if the Roman has an un-engaged infantry unit?

The only requirements are that the Roman has an un-engaded infantry unit and that there is a Carthaginian infantry unit present, what am I missing?
What does the cavalry have to do with any of this,.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der goldene Reiter wrote:
I don't get situation 1.

Why play the chit to no effect, if the Roman has an un-engaged infantry unit?

The only requirements are that the Roman has an un-engaded infantry unit and that there is a Carthaginian infantry unit present, what am I missing?
What does the cavalry have to do with any of this,.?

My question is based on the wording of Campaign Specific Rule 12.b which I quote below:
Quote:
You cannot "engage" enemy or friendly units that are already "engaged in combat" if you or your opponent have any unengaged units left.

The rule 12.b does not make a distinction of the type of unengaged unit it just says "unengaged units" which is why Situation 1 includes a cavalry unit which I believe cannot be engaged. Since the cavalry unit cannot be engaged then 12.b would apply and the already engaged infantry unit could not be engaged again causing the discarding of the chit for no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuco Beneditto
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting take on rule 12.b.

As long as you have Cavalry, or Elephants, present on your side, they will provide some kind of "protection" to your infantry units; your infantry units cannot be engaged by more than enemy unit at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuco Beneditto
msg tools
mbmbmb
In the situation 1 above, if the Roman player has to draw new BCs, would he discard the Wedge and Flank BCs, or would he keep them in his hand ?

If we apply strictly the descriptions of the Flank and Wedge BCs, the Roman player should keep these BCs in his hand, even though these BCs are, in this situation, "No Effect".

That would be a unique case, because the players generally have to discard No Effect BCs, until an effective BC is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldone wrote:
Interesting take on rule 12.b.

As long as you have Cavalry, or Elephants, present on your side, they will provide some kind of "protection" to your infantry units; your infantry units cannot be engaged by more than enemy unit at a time.

Totally right. In my previous answers to John I was talking about how to play multiple BC against the same enemy unit, already engaged. In my first reply to John I stated the Roman BC will be "no effect" as the Roman cannot engage the Carthaginian Cavalry with his own Infantry, but anyway you have to roll for the already BC played and "in effect".

Thats the protection your mobile units give to your infantry, not too much but at least some...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldone wrote:
In the situation 1 above, if the Roman player has to draw new BCs, would he discard the Wedge and Flank BCs, or would he keep them in his hand ?

If we apply strictly the descriptions of the Flank and Wedge BCs, the Roman player should keep these BCs in his hand, even though these BCs are, in this situation, "No Effect".

That would be a unique case, because the players generally have to discard No Effect BCs, until an effective BC is drawn.

The Roman has to play their BC in turn, if they are considered "No Effect", that´s their effect. When he runs out of BC he draws a new set of BC.

I have to clarify this on v2 of the Rules. The text of the BC has to be re-worded but the spirit of the rule is you can engage only enemy infantry with your own infantry and if you have infantry unengaged and the enemy has only cavalry/elephant units unengaged you cannot "envelope" the remaining enemy infantry. You play the BC for "no effect" and continue playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.