Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb

So, which rules are Optional?

My reading of the rules would have 20.0 Imperial Order down through 28.0 Expeditions as being optional rules. However, the first scenario "Over the Edge" contains Nexus markers.

If the Nexus markers are Optional rules, do I eliminate them from the Scenario? Use them as what they are without doing anything else with them? Treat the Nexus Rules as part of the base game? (Which is what I've been doing. I'm still learning the first scenario.)

Has this been addressed anywhere that I didn't see?

So far - interesting game. Nothing like watching your empire crumble before your eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the first edition, but since no one else has answered. The first optional section is Imperial Order. It's not programmed learning, so each scenario has set-up for optional rules like nexus marker. Actually, nexus rules are the easiest optional to add on to the base system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
Ok. I'm used to games having a "learning" scenario, so was thrown by the seeming optional nexusesssess. (Nexi?)

I'm enjoying the game (so far) but am finding some things lacking from both rule books (I have the 1st ed game and a printed copy of the 2nd ed rules, so am constantly comparing them back and forth.)

Yeah, The Nexus rules didn't seem too complicated so I was able to incorporate them in my playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are scattered references in the rules to ignoring things related to optional rules if you're not playing with that optional rule. Like, it says that if you pick a "transhumans appear" chit and you're not using the optional transhuman rule, discard this chit and pick another.

I think the principle is: ignore any references to optional rules you're not using. If you can just ignore it and go on, do so. If you have to do SOMETHING, re-roll or pick another chit or whatever.

If I play without the Nexus rule, I just leave Nexuses (Nexi, Nexubim, whatever) out of the setup.

When you roll for the composition of an invader force, 9 = trans-human. I usually don't play with transhumans, so I just re-roll until I get something other than 9.

Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.