King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat worried that the app in this game is a red herring. The game has four different roles, but three of those roles - while seemingly having a different duty - have a very similar game mechanic.

I don't really understand if the game is interesting with its mechanic. Is it not just an allocate stuff and hope for dice to roll in your favor mechanic?

Does that not grow stale really fast? You can easily have a table of odds of success and always just assign stuff based on this table.

I've watched some gameplay videos and that seems like all there is in this game. It's neat to cooperate, but the only actual challenge is the allocation of the budget - what players do in the end is simply almost too predictable, with slight variations.

I even tried comparing it to dice mechanics of Elder Sign and in that game the challenge is so varied due to dice manipulation mechanics. In here the dice seem to be a risk or reward thing that everybody essentially does the same way.

I love Eric Lang games, but am I missing something here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree. The first round of the game it would appear that the game is just "assign your guys" and "push your luck".

Sure you have a few ways to manipulate off the back (some cards you start every game with and the "base location card"), but yeah, it appears to only be spend your budget to send guys where the aliens are, roll and done, right?

Thing is I don't think that is what the game is about. It's about the round after and the next, etc.
We don't know much about the "full game" beyond, "the aliens react to you" and "research helps other players", but I believe that is where the game will shine.

Forgive the rough analogy, but think of Pandemic.
First turn there isn't much going on; real simple and quick. The game shines, however, once things escalate, your worried about epidemic cards and about outbreaks and hoping you can scramble quickly enough to research the cures.


This is what I think X-COM will be like; a scramble to make the best of quickly escalating invasion.

Sure, the first battle might be like what you said, but let me tell you, I'm in it for the long war
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing two things:

1) The abilities on the cards and how they will interact with each other, and

2) Making these decisions under very tight time pressure.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
You can easily have a table of odds of success and always just assign stuff based on this table.


I agree to the other things said. This is also what I worry about.

The part I quoted is what I think you can't have easily. I guess the odds are hidden in the app.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
You're missing two things:

1) The abilities on the cards and how they will interact with each other, and

2) Making these decisions under very tight time pressure.


Well, you don't roll under tight time pressure and the cards seem pretty much standard these days for some abilities.

But if the first reply's prediction ends up true then that may help the game. Pandemic really also does have a very basic game mechanic, but the game is wonderful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
I'm somewhat worried that the app in this game is a red herring. The game has four different roles, but three of those roles - while seemingly having a different duty - have a very similar game mechanic.

I don't really understand if the game is interesting with its mechanic. Is it not just an allocate stuff and hope for dice to roll in your favor mechanic?

Does that not grow stale really fast? You can easily have a table of odds of success and always just assign stuff based on this table.

I've watched some gameplay videos and that seems like all there is in this game. It's neat to cooperate, but the only actual challenge is the allocation of the budget - what players do in the end is simply almost too predictable, with slight variations.

I even tried comparing it to dice mechanics of Elder Sign and in that game the challenge is so varied due to dice manipulation mechanics. In here the dice seem to be a risk or reward thing that everybody essentially does the same way.

I love Eric Lang games, but am I missing something here?


You want the four roles to have four completely different mechanics with four different rule sets ???
Sheeesss !!!
Have you read the posts on this game ??
People can't comprehend as is !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If every task in the game had equal priority, then, yeah, a simple table of odds and corresponding resource allocation would be enough to auto-play the game. What promises to make the game more than just a mindless optimisation task is that, while the odds of success/failure are known (at least once you get to roll the dice, if not during resource allocation), the medium-term consequences of each are less obvious - it's the strategic choices between, for example, dedicating more resources to research, or to base defense, that I expect to be the meat of the game.

For the Chief Scientist, the interesting choice isn't so much when to stop rolling the dice, but which technologies to assign how many scientists to. The Commander has the responsibility (but not the authority) to manage the budget and also a limited scope to determine what handicaps the game will throw up.

It's true that the action resolution mechanics could be more varied or could all be something else, but they're also comparatively unimportant - what's needed are mechanics that offer enough predictability to allow players to make informed decisions, but enough chance that there's a risk-management aspect - that you can choose between an expensive near-certainty or a cheap gamble. Push-your-luck dice-rolling fits the bill, and having the same mechanic for all four players reduces the design load in some ways, and also allows players to have a better understanding of each other's concerns.

If all four players had significantly different resolution mechanics, then the Commander in particular would have a much harder time balancing resource allocation, and it would miss an opportunity to make the game simpler without a major effect on how it plays...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.