Popular Tags: canada [+] [View All]
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Visiting Ottawa for the weekend and was wondering if there are any good gamestores in the area

Thanks

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there are several game stores in Ottawa:

1. Fandom: downtown on laurier st. west has a variety of games. A large selection of role playing games. A sampling of wargames (there are not really any other sources of wargames in Ottawa) and the more common eurogames.

2. Monde des merveilles on St-Joseph blvd in Hull (now named Gatineau). They probably have the biggest selection of Eurogames in Ottawa.

3. Jomini and Hawk: In gatineau. I have not been there yet but I believe they carry Eurogames.

4. Multizone in Aylmer: I have not been there either but I believe they carry Eurogames.

5. Centre du comic in Gatineau: I have not been there but I believe they carry Eurogames.

6. There is a teacher's store in Bells corners that has a selection of educational and cooperative games . I forget the name of the store. The reason I mention this one is that there is a local company from Perth which makes lots of cooperative games.

Basically look the stores up in the phone book for addresses and phone numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
^ That's the Discovery Learning Store.

There's also the Strategy Game Store on Bank (Very Chess-centric, but a fair amount of games, both english and french, in the back).

The Hobby Centre in the South Keys area has a small selection of the more common Euros.

And there's a newish (~1 year old) game store in that big-box mall in Barrhaven called "Toys on Fire". That's probably got the biggest selection on the Ottawa side of the river, now. It has a good number of Euros, even some of the lesser-known ones (no direct imports, though - just a pretty good selection of the North American publishers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
I visited Fandom during the summer and was impressed by the selection. Prices were okay...not bargain basement but certainly less exploitive than the few stores in Toronto, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sat Elg
United States
Vast
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you are coming in via the Airport there's Utopia Games. It seemed to be largely devoted to providing a gaming area, but there was a wall of euro games as I recall.

Barhaven also has The Wizard's Tower which has a small section for euros. Terrible prices though ($39.99 for Carcasonne for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At one point there was a warhammer store at St-Laurent shopping center.... Is it still there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

I am headed out this afternoon to see what I might find in your fair cities

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the quebec side, it is:

Mondes & Merveilles, which is at 592 boulevard Saint-Joseph, Gatineau Quebec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory C
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
100% FUN
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
At one point there was a warhammer store at St-Laurent shopping center.... Is it still there?

No but there is a GW store in Bayshore shopping centre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:
I visited Fandom during the summer and was impressed by the selection. Prices were okay...not bargain basement but certainly less exploitive than the few stores in Toronto, for example.

Last time I was in Ottawa visiting friends (probably 4 years ago) we went to Fandom (pretty sure that was the place) and I agree, it had a decent selection of games and RPG material. However I didn't really look at the prices since I wasn't buying anything at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In case people didn't follow the jump in dates, most of this thread took place in October 2006; it's not all entirely accurate today.

There *is* a Games Workshop at St Laurent (at least, it's still listed on the St Laurent website, and was still open the last time I was there.) If you're into that sort of thing - they don't exactly stock much of what's discussed on this site.

I don't believe Utopia Games is open anymore. Not that they ever appeared to be anything more than a a few tables for miniatures and a half-rack of games.

The most noteworthy store not mentioned in this thread is The Comic Book Shoppe on Clyde at Merivale. Circa late 2006 early 2007 they moved their growing Anime video section to a dedicated store elsewhere in the same strip mall, and with the freed up floor space in their main store they expanded several other areas of focus for their store - most notably, the board games section. They now have one of the best selections in Ottawa, and competitive (retail) pricing as well.

The location of The Comic Book Shoppe downtown has a couple racks of boardgames, but not even a quarter of the selection of the Clyde location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL... a 2 year old thread. As Mark mentioned, the Comic Book Shoppe on Clyde has a good selection and is priced comparable and sometimes better than Fandom II downtown (depending on the title). I do most of my shopping between this store (because i live close to it) and Fandom ( because I work close to it). Whoever has the cheapest price is usually the store I'll buy it from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiggywinkles is pretty expensive, Ticket to Ride is $69, I believe.

Which reminds me, there used to be a second store in the Place D'Orleans mall that had a few games in it, Twilight Imperium, Memoir 44, Age of Empires etc. They also had a ton of sports jerseys, pucks, hockey cards, that kind of thing, and in the back was painting stuff, and I think some comic stuff.

Last time I was in the mall, I couldn't find the place. Did they move, or was I just blind? What was their name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's called "Entertainment Ink!" (and before that, "Comics X-Cetera" - same store and management, different name). Last time I was in their store they invited me to a game session, apparently they were using a conference room in the mall somewhere for weekend open gaming (basically, Settlers, Carcassonne, and Magic the Gathering).

Still open (I just called!). I think they've moved a few times and possibly been without-a-storefront for months at a time, but they are in business right now.

Not sure if they still do open gaming, though. I haven't been to Place in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark.

The placedorleans.com website map shows them right about where I remember them, I have no idea how I missed them last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fortier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to echo the fact that the guys at Toys On Fire are friendly and the prices reasonable. Fandom is great as well, and as I work downtown I find it convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cronkite
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second that. I NEVER buy board games at Wizard's Tower. Often there is a $20 price difference from what you can buy 15 minutes down the road!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all,

I finally completed my Google Maps of Ottawa Game stores, it can be found here in the list at the top:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/204365
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
The shop in the Canadian War Museum has a modest selection of war games.
http://www.warmuseum.ca/home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Roullot
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

I recently moved into Ottawa and am trying to find a good store fo wargames. Fandom on Laurier Ave. seems the recommended one but their collection of wargame is not very complete.
What on-line site do you advise to buy wargames in Canada and get delivered at home?

Thanks

Stephan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephan R wrote:
What on-line site do you advise to buy wargames in Canada and get delivered at home?

The big names online are:

http://www.germangames.com/
http://www.boardgamebliss.com/
http://www.thecultofthenew.com/
http://www.meeplemart.com/
http://jjcards.com/shop/
http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/
http://www.levalet.com/

Most of these should have wargames, not my kind of game, so I can't be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Stephan R wrote:

I recently moved into Ottawa and am trying to find a good store fo wargames. Fandom on Laurier Ave. seems the recommended one but their collection of wargame is not very complete.

The other option to consider is to get the game store to order the titles you are looking for.

It is the way I buy my wargame titles. A lot of game stores don't stock many war games because the value of the inventory can add up, and retail is about turning your inventory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.