Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi!

I'm finding an ambiguity in the card "Reformation"; maybe this has already been errataed or explained. Its first dogma effect reads:

"You may tuck a card from your hand for every two [Leaf] icons on your board."

This is susceptible to two interpretations:

1) "You may choose whether or not to do the following once: for every two [Leaf] icons on your board, tuck a card from your hand."

2) "For every two [Leaf] icons on your board, you may do the following once: choose whether or not to tuck a card from your hand."

This would matter in a scenario wherein I have six [Leaf] icons on my board and three cards in my hand, two of which I want to tuck and the other of which I do not want to tuck. Under the first interpretation, I must tuck all or none of my cards. Under the second, I may tuck either 0, 1, 2, or all 3 of my cards.

How have others addressed this question? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I have always played by option 1. Option 2 may be correct, but I think that if it were intended it would say, "You may tuck upto one card from your hand for every two [Leaf] icons on your board."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out the FAQ that's been approved by the designer:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67894/innovation-official-...

For Reformation, if you choose to take the dogma action, you need to tuck as many as you can. I think the logic is this: the "you may" refers to the fact that you can choose to either take the full dogma action or not take any of it at all. It does not refer to the possibility of taking part of the dogma action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that it does NOT say: "For each pair of [Leaf] icons on your board, you may tuck a card from your hand." That would be a way to express the alternate meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number one.

Everything after "you may" should be considered the dogma if the option is chosen to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Note that it does NOT say: "For each pair of [Leaf] icons on your board, you may tuck a card from your hand." That would be a way to express the alternate meaning.

Another vote for number 1. Tuck them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you may or may not do the effect, but once you are doing it, you must do all that you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.