Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Morris
United Kingdom
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I'm being attacked by Maester Pycelle, who has stealth, and Catelyn Stark is named as unable to defend. It's now my turn to name defenders. Can I use Syrio Forel's Challenges ability to give Catelyn stealth and therefore nullify the inability to defend, because you can't stealth other stealth characters?

Ta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do that BEFORE Catelyn is stealthed, but not AFTER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Morris
United Kingdom
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So you can play character abilities on your opponent's turn?

Edit: I mean, during your opponent's attacking phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

As I recall, after attackers are named, the defender has a chance to take actions before the attacker declares targets for Stealth. That's when you can use Syrio's text.

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

As I recall, after attackers are named, the defender has a chance to take actions before the attacker declares targets for Stealth. That's when you can use Syrio's text.

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

From the rules:

Quote:

Challenges (p.9)

Each challenge follows these three steps, in order:

1. Declare attackers
2. Declare blockers
3. Resolve

Before and between each step, players can take actions, such as playing events and using abilities on their cards in play.

Quote:

Stealth (p.12)

When a player declares attackers in a challenge (but before defenders are declared), for each of his attacking characters with the STEALTH keyword he may choose one of his opponent's characters without STEALTH. Any chosen character cannot be declared as a defender during the challenge.

Quote:

Actions (p.12)

The effects of each action are completely resolved immediately after they are announced. Once an action has completely resoled, another action may be taken. Note that a player can take actions during his oppenent's turn, provided the event or ability allows for its effect to be executed at that time.

The first player always has the option to take the first action of each phase. After a player's action resolves, he must allow his opponent the opportunity to take an action or pass. He cannot take another action until his opponent has either taken an action or passed.

Since STEALTH is a keyword ability, not an action, it acts as part of step 1, not between step 1 and step 2. So, the only opportunity you would have for Syrio's ability to work during a defence is before step 1. After step 1, Catelyn has already been named and therefore cannot be declared - even if she were to subsequently gain STEALTH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely been playing that wrong, then. Thanks.

As much as I love this game (and I really do), I wish they'd streamlined the timing of actions. It's a huge pain to learn as a beginner, especially since you have to read the FAQ just to get a handle on it. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stannis B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the timing really is the main problem of this (great) game. We decided that it is a better solution to be generous. So in your case, you could still say that Catelyn got STEALTH and hence is immune to Pycelle's STEALTH, but the Lannister player can choose another valid target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.