Jonathan Greschler
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
My family of four likes to play games. The youngest is 9. He likes competition games where you have an opportunity to directly and negatively affect other players. My wife likes goal games with a minimum of hose the other player like Ticket to Ride, many of the rail games, Cattan, Starfarers of Cattan. The youngest finds Ticket to Ride boring because he does not have to pay much attention to what the other players do. It hardly affects his game. My wife does not mind someone pursuing their goal and that hurts her indirectly, like Starfarers.

So…I need a game with very little hose your opponent to win, but what your opponent does is very important to you so pay attention.

Help……

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look to Princes of Florence if you want to avoid the "hose the other player" factor. Some people complain that it is multi-player solitaire, but if you're not watching the other players works, noting their game strategy and bidding well in the auction phase you'll have a very hard time winning. (in my experience) It is a heavier game than some of the one's you've mention though. It's definitely in my top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seeking a goal/building game with interaction low confli
Tempus is my pick.

Each player pursues the goal of expanding his territory on the board while paying particular attention to which types of territories are important for making progess on the Era track.

There is the possibility of conflict, but it is not the main part of the game. It plays quickly and offers a variety of decisions and options for advancing.

With children, it's also a good opportunity to teach the broad brush strokes of history and have a little fun naming your "countries" or "peoples."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would suggest Antiquity since it's primarily a battle against the game and a race against the players -- but with the opportunity for some subtle but wicked screwage. It's probably too heavy for a 9-year-old, though (even an experienced gamer).

What about Ingenious? You can hose people by closing off the colors they need, but you're usually better off trying to get yourself some points. You need to keep a close watch on other people's point totals in order to know when it's better to block them off. There's also a 4-player partnership version.

Through the Desert might also work. You can do some mild blocking of other players, and you have to pay close attention to the lengths of the other players' camel chains.

A deduction game like Sleuth might also work for everybody. There's absolutely no screwage, but you have to pay attention during everybody's turn because often you gain more info from the answers to other people's questions than from the answers to your own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Attika and California.

In Attika you are building a city by placing buildings. Your goal is to either get all your buildings on the board first, or to connect two points (temples) on the board with an uninterupted line of your buildings. You have to pay close attention to what the other players doing, because a lot of the game is about blocking.

In California you "purchase" and place tiles on a player board to renovate and furnish a house. Certain combinations of tiles give bonus points. You block others by purchasing the tiles that you know they need. My 7 year old and and her 10 year friend really like this game and take great pleasure in preventing me from getting the tiles I need. The theme may sound a little "girlie" because they call the tiles "furniture tiles," however these tiles picture things like motorcycles, pinball machines, swimming pools, and pets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greschler wrote:
So…I need a game with very little hose your opponent to win, but what your opponent does is very important to you so pay attention.

Help……

Coloretto. You have to watch what other people are collecting, but there isn't a direct hosing factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
How about O Zoo Le Mio?

It is in the fist bidding, but you have to see which tiles will cause you to lose or gain majorities and how those same tiles would affect others. In some ways it is a low confrontation area majority game and you are building a zoo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Blue Moon City? While you can't really "screw" the other players by undoing what they've done, there's a fair amount of interaction as you must cooperate to finish buildings. Watching where others are building, keeping an eye on how many crystals they have (as best as possible) and competing for dragon scales are all key strategies in the game. I think it meets your criteria almost perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.