# of 1’s rolled for movement - 33

Winner - Vampire Hunter (Emma)

Adam - Totem Warrior
Brian - Leprechaun
Alycia - Sage
Emma - Vampire Hunter
Shawn - Ogre Chieftain
Paul - Sorceress / Nobleman

Tinsel Talisman is an annual event. We all arrive in silly hats, bring lots of different beers and try to turn each other into toads for six hours. (Un)fortunately, Shawn was the only man with enough courage to go out in public in a silly hat this year. At the very least this guarantees him the cover of next year’s Tinsel Talisman Christmas Invite.

With a full six player game everyone was most excited. In an effort to keep the game length acceptable, we elected to be able to trade in trophies for 5 points instead of the usual 7.

Emma, a newly welcomed member to our group who seems to know the rules better than anyone despite never having played this game in her life has earned the nickname “The Company” since, obviously she is a secret plant from FFG sent to infiltrate the group for some nefarious reason.....or maybe she’s just got the common sense the rest of us lack.

Anyway, The Company decided that we should pick a revealed ending and “A Hero Rises” from the fantastic Firelands expansion was picked at random. We love this ending and combined with the recently released Woodland expansion, it was certainly going to be a game dominated by Fate.

Anyone who reads our game logs knows that this is the point in the report that Paul goes into the Dungeon. You know, the very beginning when nobody has a chance in hell of surviving. I still don’t know why. I asked him today and his reply was:

“I came here to have an adventure”.

Well, he certainly got that. Sorceress Paul was bashed and beaten to a pulp, went all the way into the furthest depths, turned around and then got crushed and crippled on his way back out. What fun. He exited the Dungeon bruised and battered wielding a Goblin Slayer for his trouble.

Unbeknownst to him (until he reads this) there was a bounty on Paul’s head. Brian and I had a side bet going. The first one to kill Paul gets a six pack of beer. Don’t think us heartless. Or cheap. Paul spent the entire game last month killing me and Brian? Well, Brian just likes someone else to be losing more than he so we figured it was fair game. We unleashed spell after spell while debating our favourite beers at each lost life but he never caught on.

Alycia, also a newbie, had picked Sage and a wise choice it was. The ability to have a sneak peek at the top card is really...sneaky and she used both that and the movement re-roll to her advantage often. Newbie she might be, but that didn’t stop her inner ruthlessness shine through as she cast multiple spells against the rest of us with an innocence that was suspiciously not innocent.

Shawn, an oldie (but a goodie), went for the Highlands where we all followed him since he seemed to have an ability that wasn’t on his character card at the beginning of the game - namely: “whenever you draw a card, odds are it will be a pool of something really advantageous”. We fought over those pools like hyenas but it was not without risk and every time a Highland card was drawn the chant began...

“Lodestone, Lodestone, Lodestone!”

I had spent hours upon hours* making a Christmas Toad hat that Blue Peter** would be proud of. The idea being that every time someone was toaded they had to wear it in shame and humiliation. Usually there are multiple toadifications in our games. Not so today! In fact it wasn’t looking like it was going to happen at all until Paul cast Random on me and I rolled…yep a 1. A toad I was and the shame belonged to Totem Warrior. But I did get to wear the hat!

In the Woodland Sorceress Paul drew Faerie Market. Everyone passed around the same spell! Verdant Growth. I guess what goes around comes around or as Paul so eloquently put it:

“The grab bag gift that nobody wants”.

A little later Leprechaun Brian used a dark Fate in conjunction with The Vagabond Destiny and forced him onto a space with a Fireland token which burned away his last life. He glanced at me:

“Banana Bread Beer”

On the FFG Hone Brew online discussion board someone by the name of “Loudo" recently posted some wonderful new custom characters. We had printed out three of them for this game and decided if anyone died they would have to use one of these new characters. Paul drew the Nobleman. You can find the post with all the creations here:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/129...

Thank you Loudo! We didn’t have a great deal of play time with the Nobleman since it was toward the end of the game, but we didn’t have any issues come up with it and Paul particularly liked the last ability about taking followers and was constantly looking over our shoulders trying to see what would be worthwhile!

Ogre Chieftain Shawn had used his Monster ability very well to build colossal strength of 12! All he needed was a Talisman. Sage Alycia had two of them and refused to ditch one even when it meant ditching a walking stick in it’s place because of her carrying limit. She simply did not want anyone else to have one. She was determined to win since the last time she played and got to the Crown Of Command she drew Horrible Black Void. She was not happy to say the least that day, but this day she knew the ending.

Or did she?

Throughout the game Vampire Hunter Emma had amazingly drawn all the low Craft and Strength enemies - even in the Dungeon (much to Paul’s resentment amazement). With the Hero Rises ending, this means a heck of a lot of fate. 19 to be precise. It was obvious when the rest of us had but a handful of fate between us who was the only one eligible to win this game. She slaughtered gnoll after gnoll through the Dungeon to face the Lord Of Darkness and beat him by enough to end up on the Portal of Power.

She was in for a rude surprise though. Leprechaun Brian was wondering around the Woodland and drew the infamous (and often hated) Tapestry Rewoven!!!

“No!!!!!!!!”

Those 19 fate were just a little less useful now. Only Brian knew the ending, but it was late and Emma had to leave:

“I won’t be here that much longer but in theory I won”

Not quite my young padawan. She still had to get there and this game nothing is guaranteed. Nobleman Paul and Leprechaun Brian were both killed, moments before Emma made it to the COC and turned over PANDORA’S BOX! Paul jumped at the chance to “play” Emma’s character for her since he was now dead and she was gone.

Armed with 24 Nether Realm cards he unleashed a torrent of hellfire and hate upon us till one by one we succumbed to the inevitable. At 5:15pm Vampire Hunter conquered all and was crowned the 2014 Tinsel Talisman winner.

However, Brian was quick to point out:

“According to Article 5-C paragraph 2 of our by-laws; You have to be present to win”

A quick vote was taken and all said Aye to making an exception since we would, of course, never want to piss off The Company.

Worthy mention absolutely must be made about Alycia's home made Buffalo Chicken Dip. Phenomenal. Can we make this a tradition??

Hugs all round and everyone got a Talisman mug to celebrate another year of fabulous fun.

Quote of the Day:

Brian: Why would you send me there?!
Emma: I didn't send you there - take personal responsibility.
Brian: May Death find you.
Emma: That's stupid. Whatever.

cool

END STATS

Nobleman S4/C3/L0/F5/G0
Totem Warrior S7/C3/L0/F3/G0
Leprechaun S5/C7/L0/F1/G0
Vampire Hunter S10/C10/L2/F0/G4
Sage S6/C6/L0/F0/G3
Ogre Chieftain S12/C5/L0/F0/G2

* About 4 minutes

** Anyone from the UK over the age of 35 will know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see a mug then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were three choices!

1. Our Group mug:

2. Revised 4th Edition mug:

3. and my favourite:

I can just imagine him welcoming you in to his cozy little den at the Crown of Command, putting on the kettle and offering you a chocolate digestive before swallowing you whole in an eternal pit of black doom! He'd probably lick his lips too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge