Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a silly question, but I just got a golden thumb stuck up my . . . profile. How does one earn such a thing? Thanks for your patience. I'll go away now--stop shoving me out the door! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never been definitively stated, but it seems to be when you get a total of 100 thumbs up on GeekLists...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Amy, for taking the time to answer. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For more info and discussion on Golden Thumbs check out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Thommy8/tag/goldenthumb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
janiera wrote:
It's never been definitively stated, but it seems to be when you get a total of 100 thumbs up on GeekLists...

I believe I read this somewhere in the How To BGG threads when I was a "noob" here. Having not quite achieved a Golden thumbsup, I'll side with Janiera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
How does one earn such a thing?

It means you are on the BGG terrorist watch list. One thumb is a pretty low threat level; they just monitor your phone bill and travel records.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
For more info and discussion on Golden Thumbs check out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Thommy8/tag/goldenthumb

Tom, you waddling fount of golden knowledge, you have given me all that I need and more. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:
Is there any way to monitor the number of thumbs you've got so you can tell when they are going to follow you to the stores and plant bugs under your car and cancel your credit cards.

Yes there is, but I can't tell you about it here. I'm a 9-thumber, and they're watching my every move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Create lots of controversial geeklists. If you can demean or insult whole groups of gamers you will get thumbs real fast.

Alternatively you can write insightful and useful geeklists, but you'll have to write a lot more of them, because these lists don't get nearly as many thumbs.

If you want to avoid geekgold and golden thumbs, write lots of well thought out strategy articles. You might get a rare tip, but that's about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Meeple
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if that's the case, I'm amazed that I'm the only one who recommended this thread. Come on people, some people aren't trying hard enough....

No wait, are you saying that you get it when people thumbs up a thread YOU create? Pardon moi. You're all trying, I'm just not listening. I'm going to go crawl under my rock now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's not threads, it's GeekLists (and GeekLists only)... I have one Golden Thumb, and 19 Geeklists under my belt... I think I counted the thumbs up when I got it, and it was 100...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a Golden Thumb to suck on.... cry
I want my Mummy cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just for Geek Lists, Joseph. Since yours tend to be very good, if you keep doing them you'll get loads of thumbs!

Be aware though, that you can never have a feel for how mnay thumbs individual lists will get. Sometimes ones which you think will get quite a few, don't and ones which you think aren't very good get loads. It's a funny old life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100 thumbsup=1 golden thumb. It doesn't matter how you get those thumbs. I have never written a geeklist, but I do have a golden thumb. More information in the wiki: thumbs-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.