Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 4000 A.D. all of three times, and I think I've gotten an idea of what it's about from them. I'm going to briefly summarize all three of the games so you can get a feel for it. I'd planned to do a review, but I suppose this works just as well. There's not much to the rules, so you can glean those elsewhere.

In Game #1, we played a free-for-all scenario with four players. At first, we played it like a standard 4x space conquest game, taking our time and maximizing production. It eventually became clear, however, that the safest place for your fleets is in hyperspace, and once you have the biggest fleet, it's just a matter of time and prediction.

My wife and I faced off as a closer pair of enemies, but then we stopped fighting each other when our friend started to munch on our daughter. We were wearing him down, and our daughter making a comeback (she was maximizing her colonies and keeping her garrisons small) when it was determined that I had become the Great Satan (though I'd argue that my wife deserved the title).

Realizing that the game could be an enternal see-saw, we quit after about 3 hours. Fun!

For Games #2 and #3, we tried 2 vs. 2. I teamed up with Dan, while John and my daughter led the other team.

The first of the two games ended in what was essentially a fool's mate; John sent a huge fleet and gobbled up Dan's big fleet, which he'd left at a colony rather than prudently sending most of it back into hyperspace. The game was essentially over in three turns, and Dan conceded (and I had to follow suit).

The second of the two games was almost a mirror image. John and I made the exact same moves, generating an enormous fleet to deliver a knock-out punch. My daughter did the scatter-to-the-winds move, leaving her vulnerable. Dan simply sent a smallish fleet straight at John's homeworld. John was unable to respond in time.

Then Dan and I both sent fleets out to take Lorelei's homeworld. Dan beat me there, so my big fleet simply stayed in hyperspace to land on John's world. There being no chance of reconquest, John conceded.

---

Thus, the free-for-all looks to be a protracted game, but the alliance game goes quickly. It's really a game of cosmic checkers despite the veneer of interstellar conquest. There is lots of fun, subtle calculating to do, but I wouldn't pull this game out too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an excellent game for the right players, although it's not for everyone. I have a move by move transcript of a 4-player PBEM game that I played more than a decade ago in my files, and I've been saying for years that I will write a detailed account. Maybe I'll get around to it this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I think this is an excellent game for the right players, although it's not for everyone. I have a move by move transcript of a 4-player PBEM game that I played more than a decade ago in my files, and I've been saying for years that I will write a detailed account. Maybe I'll get around to it this year.

I'd love to see it. How long did it take you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
I'd love to see it. How long did it take you?

That I can't tell you; it's been too long and I no longer have the original emails. I just looked and see that the game went 33 turns, so if we managed a turn a day it would have been just over a month. Hard to manage that with four players in different time zones though. I'd guess it must have taken at least a couple of months.

Thinking about this, I just did a search and came up with something cool. An archived copy of the usenet post that I responded to, which led to the game I recorded:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/rec.games.bo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.