Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lachlan Allnutt
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
If unspecified should players be able to look through the discard pile in any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a generalization I would say the discard pile is typically open information and could be looked at without harm. Although I suspect in most cases it would be poor manners to do so as it would be disruptive to the flow of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the discard is face-up (or unspecified) and no specific rule about looking through it is available, then yes, I would consider it open information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no.
To me a discard pile is a stack. If the designer wanted players to not have to rely on memory, then the "discards" should be laid out in a display, so all players can see at a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say no, unless the game specifically allows it (like Sheriff of Nottingham).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote that unless the discard pile is hidden, it's open information. Far more games work that way (traditional games especially) so a rule-writer should take care to specify that discard piles are hidden if that's intended.

Pete (also thinks most people don't bother to "neatly" stack discards and it makes no sense to reward people for lucking out and seeing an errant discarded card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
allnutty wrote:
If unspecified should players be able to look through the discard pile in any game.

If all cards put into it were once out in the open, then yes; if closed cards, only known to one player, were added, then no.

Designer intent counts for squat here: the intent should follow from the rules. If the rules call for a memory element in an open discard (thus deliberately closing the stack), then start training that grey mass. If they don't, then search away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

Designer intent counts for squat here

No, I think if the designer states he intended the discards to be open/closed - that should be the case.

Its a good question - in some games its often unclear about whether discards should be face up or down, or if they can be searched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
bortmonkey wrote:
No, I think if the designer states he intended the discards to be open/closed - that should be the case.

So if the designer states that in this game 1 + 1 = 3, do you follow him to the letter?

If a designer asks for impossible combinations (not specifying a memory element but closing an otherwise open stack), then that to me is like the above weird calculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're asking if I think the designer has some say in how his/her game is played - then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bortmonkey wrote:
If you're asking if I think the designer has some say in how his/her game is played - then yes.

Only to the degree that the design implements their intent. HTI doesn't implement a "closed/hidden" data intent, the data is factually open, just a tax levied on players for the dubious honour of playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
bortmonkey wrote:

No, I am asking what I was asking: do you apply the rules even when they are in themselves contradictory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go with the common sense. If the stack is face up, every player may throw a look at it. If it's face down, no player may.
If it's Dominion, I decide that the rule of not looking at the discard is just stupid and I never expected something like this coming from a magic player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is hard to apply a general rule to, so it tends to be case by case. The guiding principle (when there isn't a rule) in all cases is that which makes the game go most smoothly. (If much time is wasted that could be saved by quickly looking, allow looking. If much time is wasted by people repeatedly examining with no real gain, don't allow looking.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
I would say no.
To me a discard pile is a stack. If the designer wanted players to not have to rely on memory, then the "discards" should be laid out in a display, so all players can see at a glance.

If can't remember seeing a game rule in which the discard pile is laid out in a display - on the other hand in games in which you are NOT supposed to see the discard pile, this is SPECIFICALLY stated in the rules.

So, to argue "it is the designer's intend" that players may NOT look at the discard pile is a weak argument. On the contrary - if at all - I would argue that it is "the designer's intend" that the discard pile is always open information unless specifically stated otherwise in the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Unless the rules specifically state otherwise, I think players should be allowed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
For me:

Depends if the cards were discarded in private or publicly.

If it was publicly requiring players to reply on their memory isn't a great element of the game.

This said if allowing players to look through the discard pile will negatively impact the group I'd house rule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad vanVugt
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unless the game rules specifically say so, or the cards themselves are discarded face down (implying the info should be hidden), then I don't see an issue with browsing the discard. In some games, this is actually an important part of gameplay, like in Runewars when you browse the discards of the fate deck before attempting to resolve a neutral faction encounter or a quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
4 HOGS
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!

Part of me wants to say sure, why not but there is always one problem with browsing through the discard pile. In some games it is really time consuming and all the sudden what should be nice and easy game transforms into opposite.
When we designed our game discard pile was open for all players and each player could take a card from DP and play it again and that took a lot of time so naturally we fixed that.
On the other hand in games like Magic the Gathering there really is no problem with browsing through the discard pile.
O and my last issue is this, in some games it is really important to memorize which cards were played (like Belot) and some groups I play with do not allow browsing at all - even in their piles and tbh that makes things a lot more interesting.
Anyhoo in my opinion it varies from game to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. There should be a rule prohibiting if it wasn't.

On a side note. I think note taking and alternate tracking methods should be allowed as well as long as it doesn't interfere with the flow of the game - meaning if you have to pause even the slightest so that you can take notes, it should not be allowed. I hate things that interfere with the flow of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
My answer: yes, unless it slows down the pace of the game.

And of course, unless cards are not revealed when discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allnutty wrote:

Unless the rules specifically allow it, I would say NO. Definitely no.

I had a game ruined that way once. Some friends and I were playing Car Wars the Card game, and it came down to two of us. The match went back and forth for a while, and neither of us could quite finish the other off. I then stepped away for a momentary bathroom break. I came back, and he smashed me quickly and utterly - striking at me right where I was most vulnerable. Wham bam! What an explosive ending to a hard fought match!

Afterwards, I asked how he'd guessed it, and he explained that, while I was in the bathroom, he'd looked through the discard pile and accounted for all the cards to determine which ones were most likely in my hand...

After that, the discard pile was off limits.

There are probably some games out there where such a thing might not be a problem. But the whole idea leaves such a sour taste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:

If can't remember seeing a game rule in which the discard pile is laid out in a display

Glory to Rome does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't help answer the question, but I think it is a pretty poor rulebook/FAQ that doesn't anticipate and answer this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
allnutty wrote:

Afterwards, I asked how he'd guessed it, and he explained that, while I was in the bathroom, he'd looked through the discard pile and accounted for all the cards to determine which ones were most likely in my hand...

So, if he thought it was okay to look through the discards, why did he wait until you went to the bathroom? Sneaky, sneaky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.