Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it end when a player is unable to play any more cards or when both players are unable to play more cards?

I ask because a situation arose were both players have claimed 4 flags. It is now player A's turn and he cannot play any more cards. The last flag is unclaimed and A cannot prove he can win it because he is holding the card that will win it for player B. If player B is allowed to play his turn, player A wins. If the game ends now though, it is a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does it end when a player is unable to play any more cards or when both players are unable to play more cards?

I ask because a situation arose were both players have claimed 4 flags. It is now player A's turn and he cannot play any more cards. The last flag is unclaimed and A cannot prove he can win it because he is holding the card that will win it for player B. If player B is allowed to play his turn, player A wins. If the game ends now though, it is a draw.

I do not see why you state that Player A "cannot play any more cards".

If Player A cannot prove a win of the final flag then he/she must play a card. It doesn't matter if it is a good play, it is a forced play. If this card allows Player B to prove a win, so be it.

Battle Line is a fairly brutal logical game. If you make a mistake in holding the wrong card it can (and often will) backfire and cost you that precious 5th flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A cannot play any more cards because there are no legal plays for him. Does the game end or does it continue to player B? In which case player A wins because player's B only play will allow the last flag to be declared for player A.

A draw is posible if the game is allowed to end when one player runs out of legal plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Player A cannot play because he/she already has 3 cards in the final battle, then that player either can play a Tactics card or must pass and the opponent continues to play until the game is decided.

So in the situation you describe, Player A would pass and Player B would be forced to play the card allowing Player A to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not specify if the game ends when a player cannot play any cards, but I assumed play would continue based on my experienced with card games. Thanks for confirming this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome.

Regarding the rules, under the Troop Cards section on Page 2 (just before the Formations section):

Quote:
When a player is unable to play any Troop card, he may pass or play a Tactics card on his turn, but his opponent still contunies to play until the game is decided. Such situations may occur in two ways: a player may have filled all his available slots on his side of the battle line, or a player may only have Tactics cards in his hand.

Additionally (under the Tactics Cards section) the rules specify that you may only play one more Tactics card than your opponent, so that option may also be invalid. This would leave passing as your only option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've just remeber now another question I had once, but WITH breakthrough. The flags were more or less like this:

1 1 2 2 x 1 x 1 x

By playing a card, I (player number 2) won the 5th flag, but this same card made me lose the 9th flag! So player 1 had 5 flags AND at the same time I had a breakthrough...

Is there something in the rules for such a case? Is it just a draw?

Thanks!
Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only claim flags on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.