Patchwork» Forums » General

Subject: Typical end score? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duane van Gaalen
Canada
flag msg tools
TL;DR: Is a typical end score 0-0?

Hey, played a few games with my gf and noticed that we weren't scoring too well. In fact, once we docked the 2 points per empty square, we were usually in the minus. I once got 4 points at the end, but that seemed to be a fluke of sorts.

It seems to me that there is no obvious strategy for how to cover the most squares. It also seems to me, however, that I'm probably missing something. This game has good reviews aplenty and my friends recommend it as a solid game for 2.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you figure it out with a few more plays!
Our first scores were also around zero and below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner usually scores in the 20 range for us. You will get there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim B
msg tools
Me and the GF had the same problems our first plays. Now we get scores from 10 and way above. I think the record is somewhere around 20+ with only 3 empty spaces on the board.

What important is the amound of buttons you get. This is obvious, but also realy important. Usually we have around 10/15 buttons each time we get the new payment.

Some tips that might help:
- Realy calculate your moves and the moves of your opponent. So also check what 3 tiles she will get after your move and what you can get after that. Sometimes the tile you get after your opponent is so good, its worth it to take a lesser tile now.
- When you, or the GF, is behind, check if you can get multiple patches in your turn before you're ahead again.
- Its important to have as mucht button income as possible, but realy watch out for the cotst of the tiles. Don't go as fast as you can on the board, but calculate your best route.
- Always try to check what tiles you need and how you can get them with your moves on the board and the moves of your opponent.

These are the tips that helped me and the GF, have fun playing! It's an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems to have a fastly increasing score. I started with scores around zero, but my last 3 games were all 30+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, early games will be low scoring, but you'll get your scores up after a couple plays. Three plays in, and I hit 34 after getting a negative score in my first game.

Early on, I think it's best to get an income established. As the game progresses, however, the balance really starts to tip into time management. Once I have a decent income, I start to focus on patches that cover the most amount of space for the least time....as much as possible. Keep in mind that a 3 income patch late in the game is not worth as much as a 3 income patch early in the game. I also try to avoid being forced to skip ahead for buttons only since that's one less turn placing a patch on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hunt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty typical to get into the bajillions. Don't worry, you'll figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time today and scored 30. Beginners luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my third game (I think) yesterday. I scored much better than before, with 30 points. I do believe there is more control over your scores than what is first apparent. My approach on those first plays made sense on paper, but in action it failed. Instead, I suspect to succeed may require doing some things opposite of what you first think. In other words, it's an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
First two plays this morning.

First game was -20 to 5. Second game was 22 to 24. This game has the same thing I really enjoy about Suburbia. You have to balance your time and your income, while not allowing your opponent to get what they want, and also keep an eye on the 1x1 patches as you work towards the 7x7 and filling your quilt. In half the time of Suburbia (which isn't long by any stretch playing with two people.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game was 39 to -3.

I'd bet closer games will result in a lower winning score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught someone to play the game today. I am clearly a better teacher than player as they beat me 35 to -4! I focused on earning the 7x7 bonus but I left 13 spaces open. I also had a rather low income throughout the game.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to balance the different objectives: getting income, covering space, and, perhaps lastly, going for that 7x7 bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlo Grayson
Canada
victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played two games so far. First score was 28-27, next was 27-20. I tried for the 7x7 bonus (and achieved it) both times, and only won the first game. Not sure how important it is in the grand scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only once seen a negative score, but that was a whopping -18! Other than that, the lowest scores have been 12. A good button income is crucial!

My personal record is 45 points (the board was completely filled). In my last game I also ended up with a board with no holes but only scored 26 points.

Great little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Scored 40 in my first game (45 buttons, 7x7 bonus and 6 empty slots). It certainly helped that my wife undervalued income producing pieces at the expense of pieces that fit together perfectly. Me, I just slapped it together with income pieces early and cheap large pieces late. It is interesting how piece values change as the game progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolaj Cyon
Sweden
Lidingö
Lidingö
flag msg tools
Just fiinished my first game, my girlfriend beat me with 37 points to my 25, we both prioriticed the paches with button income early, and she got the 7x7 bonus. I got 4 of the 5 1x1 patches but the early ones didn't really help me since I had layed my early patches quite square.

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first three games at Gen Con. The first game I scored in the teens with 10 empty spaces. My second game was in the 20's with 7 empty spaces. The third games was in the 30's and I had 8 empty spaces.

In all three games my opponent scored negative points, twice in the negative teens. So there is definitely a learning curve in the game. In the last game I scored the highest, but at the end I had two turns in a row where I just took buttons because I couldn't place any of the pieces in the narrow spaces I had left.

Going after the 7x7 square is tempting, but it leaves you with narrow bands on the top or/and side which makes it hard (impossible) to place the final pieces. I realized in my last game if I had not created those narrow bands, I would have probably been able lay 1-2 more tiles and probably cover up 5-7 more squares. That is worth 10-14 points, so going after the 7x7 probably cost me. I got it in all three games I played, but if/when I play it again, I probably won't go after it. By filling the quilt from the bottom up using the whole width for pieces (not just a 7) will leave much more usable space at the end that I can fill up.

Also (and maybe I should be putting this in the strategy section) don't think you are playing tetris. In each game I played, one player got 2 of the patches and the other player got 3 patches. No one really strategized getting them, it just happened naturally. But in all three games, I was the only one who ever used the patches to seal up a 1x1 hole in my quilt. The other players just added it to the edge of the quilt. Because the patches exist, go after the really big difficult quilt pieces and purposefully place them to make holes in your quilt.

My opponents usually only picked pieces that perfectly fit in their quilt so they usually picked smaller pieces that cost more. The big lumpy pieces usually cost less. The fact that they cost less and cover up more spaces is a win/win. If you can place them perfectly, great, but don't make it a necessity.

Also, look ahead. Once you pick a piece, look at the next 5-6 pieces and pick out the biggest one you can afford. Then place the piece you just bought so that big lumpy tile will fit.

Like any Uwe game, there is a lot more to this than just playing Tetris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had scores range from the high 30s down to 10 or 20 points below zero. Lovely gem of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris King

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just finished my first game. I lost 9 to 15. Seems like we had a lot of empty squares (13 and 12 respectively) that really cost us.

Really cool game. Can't wait to play some more to try out different strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
metabelian wrote:
Just finished my first game. I lost 9 to 15. Seems like we had a lot of empty squares (13 and 12 respectively) that really cost us.

do you both pass for buttons a lot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris King

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
metabelian wrote:

do you both pass for buttons a lot?

Yeah, probably in the 10-15 button range each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kicked my sisters ass @22 vs -1 in our first game yesterday. Sweet little game this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first two games today:

First game: Me 23, boyfriend 9.
Second game: Boyfriend 20, me 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.