Mice and Mystics» Forums » Variants

Subject: MnM as GM'ed RPG ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Negelein
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Trying to help my G/F make the leap. We already had an earlier session in Savage Worlds where she got to be a magic-using Griffin but I could tell that the rules were too in-depth and some of the math was a drag for her.

But when it comes to playing MnM, she groks the dice pool concept ... and more importantly, loves the theme of this dungeoneering game. She much prefers using minis and tiles than "theater of the mind."

As it is a dungeoneering game, combat is pretty much covered. The trick will be to offer some rules that don't let characters advance so fast, use their dice in non-combat situations, and get the most reuse out of the familiar bits we've got.

1. I've got a few D&D map tiles and a battle mat. So we are good to go with terrain for a while.

2. Each "Class" has a Non-Combat skill that you use your highest dice score for.

Classes/Non-Combat:
Mystic/History or Mending
Archer/Tracker or Hiding
Scamp/Hiding or Fast Talking
Tinker/Make Traps or Mending
Healer/Herbalist or History
Leader/Fast Talking or History

Swords and Cheese count as successes. Regardless of how much cheese is rolled, the PC only gets one cheese token.

The GM will roll two dice and shields cancel successes. If the task is very hard, the GM can declare that one success also needs be a non-star sword/shield result.

A GM roll that generates cheese goes on the cheese wheel. A full wheel represents a Complication that the GM can introduce into the story.

3. The PCs will be basically be pre-gens, the heroes in the game. I probably would allow one additional gear item and an ability, along with two cheese to start with.

4. The Adventure design would be based on how the scenarios are laid out in the game. i.e., take my cues on how many monsters come out to play vs. 2, 4, or 6 characters. In other words, the old "Adventure design is an art, not a science."

5. Re-skin/modify bad guys to give the game more flavor. Maybe some mouse city guards are just Rat Warriors who don't climb up the initiative ladder.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.